Chapter 42 - Royalty

"Y'know, it's kinda hard ter hate this place," Manny said. "Nice air, strong trees... Could do without all the spiderwebs, though."

Arachno Forest was brimming with life. The trees were thick with dark leaves and strong trunks; very little light reached the forest floor. The ground was lush from recent rainfall. Every boulder hid a plethora of Bug Pokémon beneath it, something that made Rhys' aura sensors tingle.

"I don't like it," Mispy mumbled, also able to sense the auras o several Pokémon hidden away. Her many vines delicately glided over the mud, hesitant to touch any rock for fear of getting bitten by whatever was inside. It wouldn't hurt her, of course—but it was a very spooky feeling to get bitten by something she didn't expect to be there.

Demitri, riding atop the mutant's back, had previous expressed if it was a good idea for Mispy in particular to come here. "You're weak against Bug Pokémon, right? And I think, like... half of them know a lot of Poison moves, too."

"None of these choices were favorable for Mispy," Rhys said. "Ice, Poison, and Bug—if you want my opinion, this may have been the best option. At least this forest is healthy."

"Infested," Mispy corrected. The petals around her neck glowed dimly.

"N-no Solar Beams yet, Mispy." Demitri gently, yet frantically, and stroked the back of her neck. This was enough to calm her down.

"I just... want to go home," Mispy said. "And cuddle..."

Demitri blushed. "W-well, that doesn't sound too bad... But let's get this Guardian, first."

"Heh," Manny looked back. "You two're close."

"Well, we trained together!" Demitri said. "We were both created, like Gahi and Owen, and we were supposed to work as a team. So, I guess in a way, this was meant to happen. I don't mind."

"Mm," Mispy said. "Demitri's cute."

"I—I am not," Demitri said, clicking a claw against one of his tusks. "Don't I look scary and gruesome? These things detach, you know!" He tugged at his right tusk, pulling it clean off. A small hole, like a giant nostril, was left behind where the tusk had been securely in place. "I think I look awesome, not cute." He wedged it back into place with a dull click.

"Both," Mispy said, turning her head back to nuzzle him.

Rhys hummed, jumping at a Spinarak that had skittered across the ground. Mispy saw it, but nobody else did, so she'd hold that against him later for second helpings at dinner.

"Now, let's focus," Rhys said.

"Heheh, what, too mushy fer yeh?" Manny teased.

"It's simply not the appropriate time," Rhys said, turning up his nose. "Besides, I feel the presence of another Mystic aura far off. But... it's difficult to tell where. It's a powerful aura—my senses are being disrupted."

"Oh, so it ain't jus' me," Manny said. "I've been trying ter sense any life that might be stalking us down... but fer the life o' me, I can't. Not a single aura. Feh..." Manny went on to mumble under his breath. "Guess it's all the spiders 'n stuff."

"Mispy?" Rhys said. "Your sense of aura is more precise than either of ours when you focus. Can you sense anything?"

Mispy shook her head. "Blind."

"This Guardian must be deliberately masking any major auras nearby," Rhys surmised. Suddenly, a strange creature skittered past them, darting from one bush into the next. It looked like an Electrike with more limbs than it should have... "At least we know we found the right... general area."