Special Episode 1 - Storm

Lightning shattered the sky.

A squadron of Pokémon consisting of a Flareon, Delphox, Salazzle, and Rapidash stopped to avert their eyes. A thunderous blast deafened them, and the ground trembled when a follow-up explosion—this time, one of a tree crashing down—dwarfed any other noise. It was midday, yet the sun did not shine through the thick clouds for even an instant. Even truer to its name than usual, Nightshade Forest was navigable only because of the crackling flames on Rapidash Tee's back.

It was hard to see. Even with the orange glow, the tree trunks were coal-black, and the plants were all the darkest shade of green in all the worlds' forests. Rainwater glistened against the flames of Tee, but ahead was an even greater glow of a distant, freak inferno that mocked the torrential rainwater.

"LET'S GO!" the Delphox roared. He held his arm up and guided the team with a flame from his palm.

"Leo, slow down!" the Flareon huffed.

"We can't," Leo said. "Faster, Emby! What's taking you, Tee?!"

"It's—it's not very easy to work under these conditions!" the Rapidash replied with a hiss that rivaled the stinging fire on her back. Every drop of rain was like acid against her, and the steam that came off of her body was a constant reminder of the thunderstorm above. "Spice! Pick it up!"

"Oh, you hush!" the Salazzle replied. "Pick it up?! You're the one stumbling over your own hooves!"

"Now's not the time, girls!" Leo grunted. "Emby, what's going on?"

"Just ahead," Emby said. Her bushy tail was soaked from the rain, and it doubled her weight. Between her new bulk and lopsidedness, she was barely able to run. "There's someone there—who is it?!"

Leo saw, just barely, the signature, dancing ember atop a Charmander's tail. It walked with great labor—hauling something on his back.

"Kid!" Leo shouted. "What's wrong? What—" He gasped.

He was hauling a Bulbasaur that was more ash than plant. Half-dead eyes stared emptily toward the ground.

Leo ran close and wrapped his arms around the charred Pokémon. "This is bad," he said. "Spice! Oran Berry!"

"I don't think an Oran's gonna be enough for this!" Spice said, but she dashed forward anyway, handing Leo the blue fruit.

Leo tried to shove the berry into its mouth, but it didn't work. Too weak. "C'mon, just a little, get that energy back. This Berry is blessed, you have to eat it!"

The Bulbasaur wasn't even awake.

"Oh, give me that!" Spice said. Her dark claws snatched the berry from Leo and she shoved it in her mouth. Leo's eyes bulged in protest. He grabbed her arm, but Spice shoved him aside.

"Spice! Stop with that Salazzle gluttony for a second and—"

He tried to grab her again, but Spice whipped Leo with her tail, binding his arms against his body. He writhed to break free, always surprised by her strength.

Spice then shoved her mouth against the Bulbasaur's, promptly stopping the rest of Leo's retort. Spice forced the mashed berry into the Bulbasaur's larger mouth and down his throat with an amount of practiced ease that unnerved Leo.

It indeed wasn't enough—but the energy was enough of a jolt to get the Bulbasaur awake. He cried out, suddenly aware of the pain that permeated his body, even with some of the wounds healing. He flailed weakly, flinging bits of burned plant and flesh matter that washed away in the rain.