Chapter 48 - Flames in the Dark

Going from Hot Spot Cave to the southern corner of the world took quite a while. The sun was not far from kissing the horizon. It wouldn't be long until they were above the Chasm of the Void; even in the incoming twilight, they expected to see the blinding darkness that was the crater.

"So, from there," Star said, balanced atop Zena's serpentine back, "half of us will pay a visit to Nate, and the other half will keep to finding Emily with Jerry. How're you holding up, Aero?"

"I'm just fine," Jerry said, twisting his neck slightly at the tightness of his Stable Scarf. "I'm a little nervous about flying with this thing around my neck. It's messing with my dynamics."

"You can land on my back, if you want," Owen offered.

"I'll pass," Jerry growled. "I'm afraid that you'll twist and throw me right into the water once we go over the ocean."

"Wh-what kind of person d'you think I am?!" Owen's flame shrank at the accusation. In truth, Owen was simply trying to make up for his insolence prior to their fight. What more did he need to do? Owen struggled to find the words to form a proper apology.

"If you must," Zena offered, "you may ride on my back, Jerry. Perhaps you can use my body as a perch? I'm sure I feel a lot like a tree branch if you don't think about it."

"Listen, I'm still trying to get used to the fact that you're flying like the Legendary Rayquaza. I'm not about to also use you as some kind of stand. I'll... I'll just fly on my own. I'll be fine."

"Hm," Zena nodded. "Very well."

A quiet, serene noise filled the air. It was a gentle whistle in an enchanting, organic tune. Almost a song. It pierced through the wind.

"Um, do you hear that?" Amia asked.

"Hear what?" Owen asked. "Oh, Gahi?"

"Ngg—" Gahi beat his wings rapidly and the whistling stopped.

"Gahi! I didn't know you could sing!" Amia said. "By the Stars, that was beautiful!"

Star's ear twitched.

"I ain't singing!" Gahi said.

"He isn't," Owen said. "Those are his wings! If the wind blows at them the right way, they make a really nice hum in the air. I remember Nevren once told me that it's even louder in sandstorms."

"It ain't pretty!" Gahi said. "Nevern told me that Flygon use that singing to lure prey fer a kill. It's deadly. I'm deadly."

"I thought it sounded quite nice," Zena said. "I envy that. Despite my species, my singing voice is not quite up to your wings, Gahi."

"Well, at least your normal voice is nice, right?" Owen asked.

"I—I'm sorry?" Zena asked.

"Feh!" Gahi irritably drifted away from them, flying next to Manny instead.

"Heh." Manny twirled through the air, wagging his tail. "I've been cooped up in that mountain and then those caves fer way too long! I fergot how great it was ter fly!"

"Lucario shouldn't fly," Zena said. "I much prefer you on the ground. Perhaps with your face in the dirt?" She giggled, hiding her mouth behind one of her ribbons.

"Hey, don't go associating me with Rhys," Manny said. "I know yer history. I ain't got any bad past with yeh. Don't gotta worry about me."

"Yes, you're less dangerous," Zena said. "I heard that you lost to him quite soundly."