Chapter 16 - Known Secrets

"Looks like that's everyone," Star said, flicking her tail.

A few of Amia's spirits swept away little pebbles that littered the ground of Hot Spot—much to Valle's irritation—while Amia herself channeled extra Mystic energy into the mushrooms to brighten the brown rocks. The cyan glow they gave off a light that mixed with the jagged edges of the houses, casting shadows on the wall. Owen sighed at the sight; what nostalgia to have a get-together like this. It's too bad it had to be over such depressing talk.

"What's the damage?" Gahi asked, clicking his jaws uncertainly.

Star sighed, sitting down in mid-air. Her tail curled around her legs. "I want you guys to be very, very calm, okay?" she said. "No sudden movements. Be nice and delicate. Talk quietly. Got it?"

"Eh?" Gahi said.

"Just... just promise me, okay?"

Gahi hesitated, clicking his jaws. He glanced at a few of the others—Willow, in particular, who irritably crackled.

"Well, why should I be quiet?!" she said.

"Willow," Star said slowly. "Please."

"W-well, I... I'll...!" Willow looked at the others, and then at Star again. "Okay..." The crackling slowed down, and the Joltik stood still.

Star nodded. She closed her eyes. "Anam, if you can...?"

"Oh, right!" Anam held his arms forward and focused; a little aura flare formed between his hands, and he sent out another spirit. It formed into a winged Lopunny—a solid spirit. She wasn't very strong, unlike Star, who was still very much see-through. Much easier to summon. But James and the others in Anam's squad recognized her immediately.

"Cara?" Zena asked.

"Shh," Star said softly.

Zena flinched, but nodded. Cara was a trembling wreck—shaking, looking to her left and right, and all around her. "Wh-where am I? What is this?"

"Hey... Cara," Star said softly. The Mew floated closer, but she stopped when Cara shrank away. "Hey, it's okay, it's okay. It's just me. Star. You know me, right? When you were afraid and confused, I popped right in and brought you someplace safe. Remember that?"

"I was... I was floating. My body, I... I couldn't feel my body..."

"It's okay, it's okay."

"There were lights everywhere, like I was... I was flowing, I—I didn't know where to go, what to—"

"Shh, shh..." Star advanced, placing a paw in Cara's. "You're in a place called Hot Spot Cave. It's underground, and away from any dangerous Pokémon. You can let your guard down."

"I—I can? Truly?" Cara looked like she was ready to collapse in front of everyone.

"Look around," Star said, waving her arm to the small crowd. "Not a harmful soul here, don't you think?"

Cara scanned the cave square. The four unevolved Pokémon. The lovely Goodra that summoned her. Star, the constant presence that she could speak with, should she ever feel afraid. The others seemed fine, too. "Oh, what an adorable Joltik," Cara said quietly.

"Adorable?" Willow asked.

"Yes, you're quite lovely," Cara nodded.

Willow glowed. "W-well, I guess I might be a little cute...!"

Cara scanned again. "That one, the statue. Quite unnerving, that. Who is...?"

"I am Valle. I am one with the mountain."