Chapter 132 - The Hardest News

Dialga sat in front of the Radiant Tree, still thinking about the letter he had sent to Arceus. Elder... He tried to meditate, tried to reach for those little bits of memory of him as a Lucario, but they were so frustratingly distant. Dark Matter really did a number on him. He wondered if that was just how they were, so small against his long life, but he knew that Rhys had spent a great deal of time alive, too. And he had his own dreams and desires that were at the edge of his mind, and yet... not.

"Ah, there you are." Palkia sauntered over and gave a firm pat on Dialga's back. "Was wondering where you decided to wander off. Speaking with the Tree, are we?"

"No, only thinking," Dialga replied, looking at the bank that glowed dimly with prismatic light. "Besides, it's quite awkward when I know he can hear me, but can't answer. Not effectively, at least."

"Well, apparently, that isn't very different from how it used to be, hm?" Palkia asked, staring past the leaves and into the portal that led to Kilo. "Well, go on. Tell me what's wrong. It isn't like you to stray from Rayquaza if you can help it."

"I've strayed from him for a while," Dialga murmured. "Been a Void Titan for world knows how long."

"Ahh, I suppose, I suppose." Palkia snapped his claws and formed a tiny portal. He pulled a journal from it and flipped through the pages.

Dialga squinted. "Did you find your old diary?"

"No, I'm recreating it!" Palkia chirped. "Oh, how I missed journal writing and notetaking."

"I'm surprised you've found the time for it."

"Well, with how much planning Giratina insists she does, there's plenty of space on the schedule for leisure."

They shared a smile, resting by the tree, and shared a quiet moment of silence together.

"Well, you must tell me," Palkia insisted. "You know how bad I am with reading people. But certainly, you are behaving abnormally."

Dialga sighed. "I do not know how to tell Rayquaza," he said. "Palkia, I've... become whole, as you know. And I've determined, and wrote to Arceus, that Rayquaza's half is... Rhys' significant other."

"Oh, well that works out perfectly, does it not?" Palkia tilted his head. "No drama about whose love shall dominate, or what will is stronger between the two personalities. Your strongest material obligations are perfectly aligned."

"If only it were that simple," Dialga said. "I truly wish that was the case. But... I feel quite distanced from that mortal half. However, that may have been due to the circumstances of Rhys' arrival to me, or... perhaps, more aptly phrased, his departure from, er... dominant existence."

"Ah... ah, I believe I understand." Palkia brought a claw to his chin. "You fear that Rhys' other half will have a stronger personality within Rayquaza, causing a mismatch..."

"It's a valid concern, is it not?"

"Yes, very much so!" Palkia balled up a fist and slammed it into his palm. "Well, I've got just the solution! We merely have to replicate the same conditions with Rhys' other half. Kill him utterly and crush his spirit!" Palkia grinned confidently at Dialga. "Then things will align just right."

"Sometimes I wonder if you lost part of your soul during ascent, Palkia."

"Well, that's also true, isn't it?"

Dialga was about to object, but then bobbed his head in defeat. "No killing Rhys' lover. That's my request."

"Ahh, always giving the challenging puzzles. Very well! I shall think of another solution."