Chapter 128 - Honesty

Spice ran through at least four distortions once they'd passed through the entrance to Fae Fae Forest. Leo's panting was ragged and Angelo had collapsed long ago, only to be carried and hauled forward by Phol. The Incineroar was holding up better than most, though he was still bleeding slightly from the cursed attacks they'd taken.

"Stop," Spice said in a quick bark.

Leo stumbled and collapsed against a tree, panting even more before going to his knees. He'd nearly bumped into her from behind. "Why'd... you say that? Oogh, the fatigue's catching up already..."

"Take a rest," Spice glanced around for supplies, but of course Fae Fae Forest had also become cursed. There would not be any hospitality to be found inside, not easily at least. "I don't think Lugia can find us for a while if we stay here. Big Pokémon like her... It'll take a while for her to traverse a Dungeon."

Phol set Angelo against another pastel-colored tree. The Smeargle's fur was covered in Phol's blood, looking completely ragged, but Phol himself was also slumped over.

"Phol, take some of this." She offered another wax-sugar vial. "Oran potion. It's really potent... Will probably do wonders for you."

"Blessed?" Phol asked.

"No. So, it'll take time. Just try it."

He nodded, biting into the potion and downing it in one go. The relief was gradual, but his posture eventually straightened. He tentatively flexed his arms; the bleeding had stopped.

Spice leaned against a tree and sank down, relaxing a little. Pastel-rainbow colored tree bark surrounded them, the leaves a solid teal or ocean green. Occasionally, distant giggles—apparently a product of the Dungeon—disrupted the tranquil silence. It was a reprieve after all the running, all that chaos. She still wasn't tired; not even sleepy as Leo had always worried about. But really, he should stop pressing her on it.

She still ruminated over the mess that she'd caused with him getting touched by that darkness. Of course, it wouldn't do anything to her, but she should have been more cautious about Leo. He was normal. He was mortal, just an innocent Heart.

Why did he have to be so stubborn, getting involved in her problems like this? She missed when everything was normal and she could live a normal life in a normal family. Sugar was always so kind.

They were fine. Spice knew where they evacuated, and they were fine. The area she'd gone had so little darkness. And Lugia felt far away, too. She couldn't sense her great, dark aura anymore, either. Perhaps many sections of the Dungeon away, or perhaps still reeling from what had happened.

Tanneth still didn't emerge from her capsule, but at least she was away from whatever Lugia wanted to do with her. Spice didn't know what was going on with that not-Vaporeon-maybe-Lugia fragment, but all that mattered was she was safe.

Spice looked at her claws again, trying desperately to will the shadowy colors away from her, but exposure to the crater made hiding it impossible. All the questions kept coming back to her. Maybe being away from town was a blessing in disguise, not that she could ever be blessed. Ever.

A warm hand touched hers and she flinched.

It was Leo, smiling at her. Skies, how long had she been looking so troubled? Could he even tell with her new face? And he looked so tired. He shouldn't have been expending so much energy on trying to cheer her up. All she had to do was play dumb again. "Hey, don't go asking me if I'm fine again," she said once again.

"How are we?" Phol spoke up using his medical tone.

"Surviving," Leo croaked.

"Dying," Angelo said offhandedly, and then he retched behind a tree root.