Chapter 14 - Too Late

Owen had barely slept last night—nobody had answered his questions when he asked. They had said, what are you talking about? Maybe it was a lapse in memory. Sometimes evolution can change the mind slightly. Gahi is just confused. He'll sort it out. Don't worry, Owen. You evolved, too. Maybe you need to settle a bit?

But Owen knew that hadn't been some trick of the mind. It felt too... real to be a trick. But then—how could he know? If his mind thought it was real, but it wasn't... he wouldn't know. But then, why did he have that thought? Gahi did fly before. He was fast...

Days passed while Star went searching for more information about the Guardians. That left them with time to decompress. Willow had made herself a little mushroom village in her abode, where she happily conversed with her screaming, playful spirits. ADAM had spent his time obsessively polishing every corner of his abode until it was a smooth cube inside. Afterward, he had dedicated his time to "defragmenting," whatever that meant. Valle... did his thing in the town square.

The new normal was settling in. Every day, Anam would leave with Nevren to manage the Association. Rhys would leave with his students to take a mission or two after their usual meditation.

"I'm not crazy. Not crazy. Not..." Owen shook his head. "I know it happened. I—I can't just make that up, can I?"

"I'm sure you can't, Owen," Zena said. "But you have to admit, it's a little strange, don't you think?"

She was coiled up in the corner of her room, staring at a set of little marbles on the ground. Rhys had a bag of them in his room, and Owen knew the rules to a game they could play. He flicked one of two large marbles into the pile, knocking two out with precision. Zena, opposite to Owen, clumsily rolled her marble along her pink ribbon. It fell a few times, but a gentle, Mystic force kept it from hitting the ground.

"Mom's not telling me a thing. I tried pressing Dad, but he got so flustered that he exploded and hid in Mom's Fire Realm or whatever." He snorted and eyed the marble floating above Zena's ribbon-eyebrow. "Is that thing you're doing the same force you use to fly?"

"Hm? Oh, yes. It is." Zena fired the marble into the circle, freeing four from the perimeter in one shot.

"Good one," Owen said. The four marbles floated to Zena's side. "But, yeah. That's pretty cool. Maybe if I..." Owen focused on his marble. It wobbled in his claws, floating above his hand. It fell right after. "That's weird."

"It is," Zena said. "I think it's the same force that keeps some Pokémon afloat. Mm, Castform, Claydol, off the top of my head..."

"Levitation powers?" Owen hummed in thought. "Yeah, I didn't think about it that way."

"Hmph. Star said it was ignoring gravity, but that doesn't explain it all. We also choose which direction we want to float."

"Ignoring gravity," Owen repeated. He stared at the remaining marbles in the circle. There were just ten. But he saw a good angle, and he rolled the orb in. With one flick, the marble bounced against six of the smaller ones, pushing them all out.

"How did you do that?" Zena said.

"Do what?" Owen asked, picking up the six that fell out of the ring. "It's just a bunch of spheres. It's easy to predict which way they'll all go."

"Yes, but," she said, staring curiously "you predicted all of that?"

"Well, the last one was a little luck," Owen admitted. "Your turn."

Zena counted her marbles, then Owen's. "I can't win."

"Huh?" Owen looked at his marbles, then at Zena's. "Oh. You're right. Even if you got 'em all, I'd be two ahead..." He rubbed the back of his head, gripping his horn. "H-ha, sorry. Maybe I should've gone easier."