Chapter 69 - Cosmic

"A thousand hands
A single heart
Working and beating as one.

Unite the lands
From worlds apart
Until our battles are done"

Anam rubbed his forehead, humming. He paced back and forth in his office, glancing outside at the setting sun. Then he looked to the entryway, where it showed a few Pokémon shuffling through the Hundred Hearts HQ to get some evening missions complete. He grinned and giggled.

"I like those lines. I think I'm gonna keep those for the Hearts motto. But what should I do with the way to finish it off? We need, um, we need a good rallying cry! Maybe... Oh! Maybe... maybe, maybe, maybe..."

An excited gasp filled the office.

"The darkness will fall to spirits of light!
We'll protect our world and keep up the fight!"

He grinned, looking up. "I think that's great!"

"I do not."

Anam frowned at the voice in his head, rubbing his chin. "Aw, how come?"

"I find it offensive."

The Goodra puffed his cheeks. "I guess so. Well, what did you have in mind, Mr. Matter?"

Anam gasped the moment he woke up, suppressing a shudder right after. Green eyes darted left and right until he remembered where he was—Hot Spot Cave.

"Ah, you're awake. Wonderful."

Nevren sat in the corner of his little cavern, reading a book titled The Whimsey and Wonder of Forest Ferals.

Tears immediately welled up in Anam's eyes, stinging his face. "I—I want to go for a w-walk."

"Hmm, are you sure that's a good idea?" Nevren asked, rising from his seat. He made a gentle flick, and the book set itself down on the table. Psychic energy swirled around his claws. "Now, I recommend you—"

Anam felt something prodding at his mind again; overwhelming fear took over. He was going to do it again—Nevren was going to strip away his sense of will. Just like before; he'd be helpless to do anything but watch as he 'behaved' normally. No. He had to be himself—truly himself—he couldn't let Nevren get away with this! But it was already too late; Nevren was inside the core of his mind. The thought to resist was already washing away; smiling sounded a lot better. In fact, resting in general felt a lot better than a silly walk. Why did he even bother with that, anyway? He didn't remember why he was crying.

But then a new power took over, pushing Nevren's influence away. A new, cold force, like Anam was falling into a dark pit. Anam's mouth moved on its own and his vision went dark. "If Anam wants to walk, he will walk."

The pink energy sustained itself, Nevren and Anam locking eyes. That coldness swirled along his body, black ink permeating his lavender slime. Please... stop, Anam begged. Don't hurt him...

He doesn't deserve your mercy.

Please...

Nevren dispelled his influence. "Very well." He gave a short bow. "But I request that the walk be within the confines of Hot Spot. It is a bit late for an afternoon walk, and we should all remain here in case Eon attacks. I would rather that not happen while Owen is with him. This situation is... not expected for any of us, yes?"

More silence followed. The darkness faded from Anam's body, and with it went the cold. Anam wobbled outside, sniffling and wiping his eyes. Were the others at least enjoying themselves?