Chapter 30 - Remnants

The evening transitioned into the night. Owen felt like he didn't quite need to sleep. Perhaps he had finally become strong enough to no longer require it. Still, Demitri, Mispy, and Gahi did. When their training ended, Owen wandered the caverns, enjoying the usual, dim blue glow from gleaming mushrooms speckled along the dark walls.

Zena was training with Amia. She seemed awkward about it, simply telling Owen that she wanted to get better with aura-based powers. It took very little pressing for her to reveal that she, too, was learning the Suppression Aura that reset Owen countless times.

Owen just smiled. "You know, better safe than sorry." Not like he intended to be reset again anyway if he could help it.

But that also meant Owen couldn't stay near them while they trained, and he had to wander the caverns again. Should he sleep? He could. But he was too restless. He couldn't get the look of Rim's eyes out of his head, and, in hindsight, the feeling he had when he saw her. How in the world did he become so bold as to risk his very sanity to scare off Rim? Was he even strong enough to take her on in that state? He somehow doubted it. Rim commanded mutants.

So why did she run?

"You are in motion far too much."

Owen, startled, looked to his right. He forgot about Valle. The Shiftry statue was right next to him, so still that he had mistaken it for part of the cave. "Sorry," Owen finally said. "Just restless."

Valle rumbled angrily. "Cease your movement. The night is when I can know peace."

"Okay. I'll just find somewhere else to rest. I should meditate."

"Yes. You should."

Owen sighed. He headed further along the giant cavern until he spotted more Guardians.

Earlier in the day, Willow and ADAM had assisted Enet in finding a home. She took a liking to the one a few homes down from Rhys' side. It was easy to spot Enet's abode because of the perpetual darkness that veiled the insides. Only her eyes—glowing—were visible when looking inside.

"Enet?" Owen whispered, but the glowing eyes said it all.

"Small," Enet greeted.

"M-my name's Owen."

"Owen... Small Owen." Enet said.

"Are you okay?" He could sense her tense muscles.

"Okay."

"You aren't scared or anything?" Owen asked.

Enet didn't answer.

"Hey, it's alright," Owen said. "Friends. All friends."

Enet let out a strange growl. It didn't sound aggressive, but it wasn't one of comfort, either.

Owen felt someone knocking inside his mind. Hello? Is someone calling me?

Yo, Star greeted. Are you checking on Enet?

Yeah. Is she alright?

She's just antsy. New den and all that, and it's not like it was totally up to her.

Oh, Owen said. Well, I guess I don't wanna bother her.

No, no, actually, I think she trusts you more than anyone else here. Since Amia's training Zena the Suppression Aura stuff, can you do me a favor and spend the night keeping her company? She's not all that strong, so she'll be asleep for most of it.

Owen nodded. It was better than irritating Valle, at least. Okay.

Great. While you do that, I'm gonna check up on some Guardians. I want to see if the Bug or Ice Guardians are up for anything. I think I know where the Ice Guardian is, but she's a little cold toward me. Sorta a long story.