Chapter 27 - Lakeside Chat

Owen located his mother and boss without incident. They found Amia at a dead end; she had been running her hands along the walls in an effort to find hidden pathways. She just happened to not find the one that Owen found to get to Enet. The same could be said for Anam, who, while lost, was much easier to track down. He left a trail of slime wherever he went, likely because he was becoming progressively more frantic at being unable to find anybody. He was usually cleaner—though it wasn't a very high bar.

Then, during their search, they ran across a patch of black fog running through the walls. It was like smoke, but it had no scent, and it was too dark to be simple fire smoke of the forest. It was ominous, in a way—looking at it gave a chill down Owen's spine.

Enet hissed.

"Whoa, whoa, it's okay, Enet," Owen said, patting her thigh—he was too short to hold much else. "That's just James! He's one of the spirits for Anam, the Ghost Guardian."

"Yeah, it's fine," Star said, floating ahead.

The Decidueye appeared from the shadows with a nod. "I apologize for frightening you."

Enet growled.

"Use easy words, James," Star said.

"...I beg your pardon?"

Enet snorted.

"Enet's wild and isn't exactly good with words," Star explained. "So... talk with... small words."

"Small words," James repeated. "Hm. Okay. I will... try."

"Where's Anam?"

James turned around. "Ahead," he said. "He is..." It looked as if James was struggling to find simple descriptors for his status. "...Lost. This place is... easy to get lost in."

Enet stuck her nose up proudly.

"Guess she's good at making this place confusing," Owen said. "Right, Enet?"

The Zoroark nodded. "Very good. Lost easy."

They continued through until they found fresher trails of slime. Owen grimaced slightly. "Does he always get like this when he's lost?" he mumbled.

"When Anam panics... he does... become less tidy with himself," James said.

"He's gross?" Enet said.

"Not gross," James said, puffing out his feathers slightly. "He's a Goodra. He can't help it."

Owen slipped barely caught himself from getting a mouthful of Anam. The slime was definitely fresh.

"He is more goo than dra," Amia giggled, gingerly stepping over the trail of goo.

"H-hello?! Is that you guys?" the helpless Goodra called.

"Oh! That's him!" Amia said.

Curious, Enet picked up the pace and ran along the hall—but then slipped on some of the slime puddles in the dirt, tumbling to the ground.

"Enet!" Owen rushed to help, and the Zoroark growled at the floor.

"Gross," she muttered.

"Yeah, a little gross, you..." Owen pulled his hand away from her. The slime was warm in the underground cave. A thick strand of connected his hand to her fur. "Ugh... Anam, seriously?"

"Oh, Arceus, I missed you guys!" Anam wailed. The messy thing ran toward them. Before they had time to protest, Anam picked Owen up, squishing the Charmander's body against his chest. "It was so scary! You just vanished and I couldn't see your auras!"