Chapter 115 - Espionage and Deception

The walk home was like a new breath of fresh air every step of the way. The further they got from Dark Matter, and the closer they got to the tree, the more everyone's spirits seemed to be back to normal. It quickly dawned on them all that Dark Matter's very presence had done that to them—and getting any closer, or staying any longer, could have made it worse.

But those feelings lingered in the back of Owen's mind. He couldn't shake them. It didn't feel like some... external, dark presence. But now, he couldn't be sure...

Gahi was muttering something to the others about beating Dark Matter up. Trina lectured him about the dangers of that, and how most of his fighting involved making contact. Demitri suggested throwing his tusks, but Trina tried, and failed, to explain that fighting him was a bad idea in general. As a solution, Demitri suggested throwing from even further away. By then, Trina gave up. Gahi suggested Psychic aiming.

Before Trina could reply, Zena cut over the banter. "I think," she said, "I'm going to stay with Owen today, and... report as sick to work."

"Lovesick?" Jerry murmured, earning a hiss from one of Mispy's mouthed vines.

"I want to keep him company. Owen, would you mind that?"

"I—"

"But it ain't easy, y'know, gettin' away with that..." Gahi hummed. "And I dunno if they'll jus' fire yeh, y'know?"

"Heh, maybe," Marshadow remarked, hands behind his head. "Employment's kinda tough sometimes. Where d'you work again? Service? Yeah, yer kinda expendable."

"I work at a bathhouse," Zena said.

"As a Milotic? Heh, maybe not too expendable."

"...You can't find a better place to work?" Owen asked.

"Not really." She looked down. "I've been isolated in a cave for quite a while, Owen. I've lost a lot of my career skills."

Owen seemed pensive about that. And Zena, when she spoke about work, was starting to look visibly uncomfortable. Marshadow's quiet laughter wasn't helping things. Something about that made his feathers puff out.

"I'd probably need some work, too," Owen said. "At least to keep things comfy while we work out what to do about Dark Matter. Maybe I should take up a job at your place, too."

At first Zena seemed hopeful, but then she quickly shook her head. "Oh, you don't need to..."

"Would you like me to?" Owen pressed, and to this, Zena seemed conflicted again.

"It won't be a bother?" she asked. "It's... it would be odd, I think. But maybe just for a day, if..."

That was all Owen needed to know. There was more to it, wasn't there? "Better than sitting around in my thoughts," he stated.

"W-well. Sure. I'll see if it's allowed. But... Well, I still think you should rest. I'll go in late, send some word to them..."

"Lookit you," Marshadow said, eyeing Owen with an entertained smirk. "Feelin' possessive?"

"...I'm starting to think Null Village doesn't have the best employment practices," Owen muttered.

Marshadow shrugged. "The world's godless."

Says the Legend. Owen glanced at Zena. "Only if you're okay with it," he said.

"Just for one day, I think I'd like that," Zena admitted. "Maybe... at least to find a job for you."

It was an excuse, but they both knew it.

<><><>

Owen hopped off of Zena once they were back in their new home and walked down the hall. Enet pawed at the entrance again and Zena helped open the door. The Grassmander nodded a greeting to Amia, who did nothing, and then he hopped onto the bed that had the imprints of Zena's body. Scaling the hills, he rolled into one of the crevices with his hands clasped over his belly, thoughtful.