Chapter 111 - Truth Isn't Bright

Dark Matter lay on the ground in the outskirts of Null Village, vomiting darkness as countless holes on his body sealed themselves shut. He groaned and wheezed as half of his body struggled to keep its shape while the other half barely retained what form it had left. Currently a Goodra, the other Void King tried to stand again, but his leg collapsed from underneath itself and he fell back down.

"That cursed tree will be the death of me," Dark Matter hissed. "How? How did he replicate it? Why?" He rolled onto his back, staring at the starry sky. "My realm... he tore open my realm..."

"Looks like he tore more'n just that." Marshadow watched uncomfortably from the edge of the clearing. Dark Matter could feel it. "Need help?" Marshadow asked.

"Yes. Stay quiet." Dark Matter tried to stand again. "That radiant power ripped a hole through the Voidlands. Though me. I can already tell that this will accelerate Kilo's efforts to attack from the living world. The last thing I need is for them to be another thorn in my side."

Speaking of thorns in his side, he sensed another presence drawing near. "What do you want."

"Um, hi, Mister Matter."

Dark Matter closed his eyes, wondering if dying would have been favorable just then, not that he could. Not on his own. He turned his attention to Anam, who was nibbling at his fingers as he always did when he was nervous.

"Are you okay?"

"I am never okay."

"I—I mean, less okay than usual?"

"A hole was ripped through my spirit. How do you think I am?"

"Probably not very good..."

"Then don't bother asking."

"Was kinda obvious," Marshadow pointed out. "Yer gonna wanna be quick. He's all outta sorts."

"Okay." Anam approached. "I think you should try something different now."

This song again. "No."

"But you're going to lose!" Anam motioned behind him. "You can't beat Owen. I told you! And, and, well, and now you see why! All he has to do is touch someone and your Shadow Aura goes away!"

"Incorrect." Dark Matter rolled his eyes. "My trivial Shadows are dispelled by touch, yes. However, thorough corruption is not. Given time, Owen won't be able to cure someone with deep Shadows." He gestured to Marshadow. "Soon, I will have one lower Legend fully corrupted in the Voidlands. Lugia in the living world will pull Kilo into the Voidlands next. That will be more than enough."

"But now Owen found a way to disrupt that," Anam said. "All you want is to be happy, right? That's what you said?"

"Enough. I don't need to hear this again." Tiredly, Dark Matter got up. He was still pained, but it was fading, and the gashes in his spirit were finally healing. "Marshadow, let's complete your Shadow Aura."

"Y'know, I do wonder if yer friend there's got a point," Marshadow said. "If they beat me up, I'm gonna go right back ter their side. Sure, a touch ain't gonna do it, but enough with that Radiant Aura and it's gonna nullify."

"Hmph, Radiant Aura. Just because someone has more of Necrozma's power doesn't mean it's enough to nullify mine." He stared at Anam. "After all, you couldn't."

Anam winced, looking down. "...Well... I'm not like Owen. He was a direct student."

"Your mother stood no chance, either." Dark Matter stared at Anam. "Ask her yourself. She was powerless against me."