Chapter 130 - Gateways into Void

In the past, Owen had only known Mhynt as a Sceptile. Seeing her as a Treecko now was surreal. She wore a pensive frown, walking forward casually with her arms crossed. Owen felt an impulse to pin himself against the wall, but held strong. She probably remembered everything. And he'd just gotten most of those memories back.

"Hello," Mhynt said, "Owen. I'm glad to see that you still have that look in your eyes."

"Hi, Mhynt... I, uh... Hi."

"Same social skills, too." She stepped a little closer and uncrossed her arms, looking him over a second time. "Charmeleon," she remarked.

"I'm working on it."

"You've been working on it for quite some time, haven't you?" Mhynt hummed. "How much do you remember?"

"I remember enough," Owen replied vaguely. "Why are you with Alexan—"

Mhynt moved so swiftly that it didn't even register until after she'd stabbed him. A false Honedge blade had been conjured from nothing and plunged into his chest, filling him with searing pain moments later. His eyes bulged.

"I am the one asking questions," Mhynt said. She pulled the blade out, then plunged it again in a different spot and Owen gritted his teeth.

He fought back tears; why was she doing this?

"Really, you still haven't mastered getting rid of your pain?" Mhynt mocked. She pulled the blade out again, taking aim for another spot on his chest.

Getting rid of his pain? Right... He did that before. He could dull it. He focused on that, easing it, making it no longer relevant. His body was just a body; his spirit had moved beyond the need to feel its pain. He just had to tell himself that, and—

The blade struck again. No pain. He felt the pressure—he knew he was being cut—but none of the pain followed. There was no need for his body to inform him that it was in danger.

It was uncomfortable that he couldn't breathe, though.

"Tch." Mhynt dispelled the blade and remnants of his blood, which had clung to it, fell to the ground.

Why was she doing this? For what purpose? What did she want to know for Alexander, and why was she working for him?

Or was she truly being forced?

He tried to talk, but no words came. That startled him at first, before he realized she'd pierced his lungs. That knowledge, without the pain, was still disorienting. He didn't know how to talk without them yet, and he was too flustered with Mhynt there to think about it.

"You're going to answer with a nod or a shake," Mhynt commanded. "Do you understand?"

On reflex, Owen nodded, but then stopped himself. He couldn't fall for that.

Mhynt looked displeased, fist clenching a little. Her pupils narrowed. "Will you align with Alexander?"

Owen shook his head.

"Do you know how easily they can invade your mind?" Mhynt said. "How readable your flame is?"

His flame... It always gave him away.

"As long as you breathe, that flame will give away all of your secrets," Mhynt stated. "It's pointless to fight back. Once you accept allegiance... your treatment will change from how it is now. Just as it did with me."

Change, but not improve. What was Mhynt trying to tell him with this?

Owen glanced down at his chest. Still bleeding. He focused a little as his scales turned green; vines twisted and wove between his wounds, solidifying until they sealed up and became flesh again. Leafy feathers grew over them.