Chapter 110 ~ Halves

Hakk had forgotten what the sky was supposed to look like.

He'd gone blind for a long while. Suddenly, everything had been a bright light, originating from the center of town. Only after some time passed did Hakk feel it was safe enough to open his eyes again.

"Oh, you're kidding me..."

In the center of town, where the sentinel tower had once been, an even greater structure now loomed over Null Village. At first, Hakk didn't recognize it; it was too foreign. Tall, cylindrical at the base, but with a great, overflowing bloom of prismatic leaves and golden lights. It hurt to look at for long and Hakk averted his gaze.

Something brushed against his nose and he sneezed, blinking several times. His vision was spotty, glimmering lights obscuring his view, before he realized that the spots didn't move with his eyes. He grabbed blindly at one and felt something in the air.

Transparent leaves, like feathers, rained down. It got in his spikes and clung to his body.

The leaves sparkled against the bright glow that the tree gave off, and for a while, despite everything that happened, Hakk could only stare at it, transfixed. He'd never seen anything like it in... ever? Had he ever seen something like this before, even when he was alive? He couldn't remember anymore. It had been so long. Shimmering, prismatic rain.

Someone pecked at his shoulder. He knew the feeling anywhere; there was no need to look. "Hey, Xy." He rubbed his cheek, thoughtful.

Xypher cawed.

"Pretty, huh?" Hakk said.

"You're big. Big, big..."

"Oh, yeah. That. Don't worry about it. Hey, did Mhynt mess with you at all?"

"No. No, no. We ate."

"You... ate?" His heart skipped a beat. "You didn't cook anything for her, did you?" Trying to keep his tone even, he glanced at the Corviknight. He had to crane his neck a lot less to address him. This wasn't so bad.

Xypher cawed again. "She liked it! Good. Good, good."

But then, someone just down the road caught his attention. Mhynt was coming closer, though she was speaking into her badge.

"Yes," Mhynt said to it, "I am not able to get Owen at this time. The mission was a failure. I will be returning with my intel as soon as my powers return."

"Until your—what do you mean, return? Where are they?!"

"The sheer radiance of that tree, combined with my encounter with the new Psychic Guardian, countered your power, sir. My powers are not usable. I will return once I am able."

"Is Dark Matter also there?"

"Yes. He is likely also not going to be able to approach Null Village."

Hakk wasn't sure if he was supposed to be hearing this. Mhynt was looking right at him. Oh, Stars, he was dead. He was supposed to get Owen and he just walked away. Did she find out? Suddenly, Hakk wanted Xypher to get away as fast as possible.

"Rrgh, fine. I'm going to send guards your way to escort you back early so you can't be attacked. Wait a day in hiding."

"Of course." Mhynt shut the badge off, then stared at Hakk. "You are now my bodyguard. Understood?"

"What?"

"You heard this. Now, hide me in your home." Mhynt gestured behind him. "I will be sure repairs are funded."