Chapter 29 - Honor and Loyalty

The more Owen thought about it, the stranger it all felt. Nevren's actions seemed friendly, but the peculiar things that he did from time to time, specifically with him, made him suspicious. The gift that he was given to suppress his evolution, right before he became Mystic? Right before the traditional suppression methods wouldn't have been enough? Then there was Nevren's entire past in creating them.

And then, most of all—and what made Owen still scratch his scaly head—what exactly was that vision he had on the mountain, during his trial to become a Heart? Nevren had tried to attack him back then, but it was all a dream. It was, right? He wasn't hurting at all when it was over, and he knew he'd dealt a horrible blow onto Nevren, too. So, what was that all about? Was it really the altitude? Or was it a Psychic vision that Nevren gave him, perhaps to test out his skills? That could have been it.

Owen tried to explain this to Zena, Amia, and Alex, and while Zena nodded at every word, Amia and Alex seemed less sure.

"Are you sure that you aren't just a little worn out?" Amia said. "To be honest, all I want to do is rest for the night. Don't you? Nevren may have not told you that the stone would keep you from evolving because then you'd try to evolve—and that's just not a good idea right now... right? Why don't you just rest?"

"But it seems suspicious, don't you think?" Zena pushed.

"Nevren's gift is the only reason Owen is still with us," Alex said with a frown. "For that alone, I think we owe him quite a bit."

"He could have been honest with Owen," Zena said, growling. "Star is still not telling us everything, and to be honest, if Star ever tells us to do something questionable, I won't follow."

"None of us will, dear," Amia said. "But think of it this way. If Nevren told Owen that it was an Everstone... and that he wasn't supposed to evolve... how do you suppose he would react? Owen, who wanted nothing more than to evolve?"

Both Zena and Owen flinched. The Charmeleon gulped, turning his head to focus on his stash of books in the back alcove of the room. "I guess I could be a little tired," Owen said. "But... I don't know. I still don't know."

"Just... just don't throw away that stone, okay?" Alex begged. "Getting too far away from it just might evolve you, and we can't have that. Not yet."

"Because I'll go crazy?"

"Well... yes?" Amia said delicately. "I think we all agree that we might not be ready for that. You still need some time to meditate."

Owen fiddled with his claws again. Then, he looked up at Zena, and then Amia and Alex. The first thing they'd asked him when he almost evolved was what he was thinking, and if he felt angry. Or perhaps if he felt violent? But he didn't feel either of those things. He felt afraid. He thought about nothing but those he knew. He didn't feel some sort of insanity creeping in on him, did he? Sure, there was a pressure, but that wasn't the same. Right?

"But do I?" he said. "What if I've been ready this whole time, and this stone is holding me back?"

"Now, Owen, let's not—"

"What if I got rid of it and evolved when I was calmer? I bet I'd be fine after that," Owen said. "Then I could take on Rim and the other Hunters, no problem. It'd all be over. I bet I'd even rescue all of the other Guardians that are lost and afraid... I could've saved Cara and Forrest."

Owen still remembered how terrified the Lopunny in particular had looked. That could've been any of them. That could've been Zena if the Hunters got to her first. With a fire in his chest, Owen glanced at the Milotic, then at his parents.