Chapter 23 - Past and Present

"Hello?" Owen called. "Klent? Everyone...?"

It was like what had happened when he had first arrived. A clear, bright glade without any sign of Pokémon life. But Owen could sense them this time. He figured it was because his aura was getting stronger and more tuned to his Mystic energy, or perhaps as a Charizard, his natural perception abilities were heightened. He could sense Klent specifically, as one of the strongest spirits of this realm.

He turned to his right. "Hey, what're you so shy for?"

Silencce at first, and then the Jumpluff emerged with his eyes downcast, somewhere between apprehension and, oddly enough, guilt. "I, er... I wasn't sure if you were still upset or not," Klent said. "Are you...?"

"Don't worry, guys," Star said. "He's fine. And Barky didn't get him, either."

Klent deflated with relief. "When I felt him leave for his realm, I thought it was over," he said. "Owen, you're still free to... choose what to do?"

"I, uh, yes?" Owen said. "Free to choose what?"

"What to do with your power, compared to just following what Arceus says," Star said.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, I can," Owen said. "And I'm not with Star, either. I'm just me. Actually, about that, um, about power, and stuff. Klent, I... I'm really sorry about what I did to you, y'know, when..."

"It's okay, Owen." Klent shook his head. "I... suppose I've also been holding a grudge. You weren't in control of yourself. But... well. It's hard to shake the image. But I'll move through it. You've changed... and you're in control, now." He spoke as if it was rehearsed, but Owen chose to believe that it was coming from the right place. He was the one who killed Klent and his daughter, after all. Even after a few centuries, that might still sting. He wondered if it was true that spirits held grudges for much longer than mortals.

Owen shook his head. Just a moon ago, he wouldn't have even entertained thoughts about spirits, and now he was thinking about them like they were common theory. "How—how in control was I against Azu?" Owen asked.

Klent rubbed his pom-poms together. "A bit ruthless, yes. You used the same attacks that we're... familiar with. But Amia was able to calm you down enough to reset your form."

"Calm me down?"

"That was impossible before," Klent said. "That shows just how much progress you made. And I have... more faith in you, now, in controlling yourself when you evolve again. Perhaps if we can do it in a less stressful situation, you'll have a better chance at controlling yourself. But for that to happen, we're going to have to keep training you—in the mind, body, and aura—to make sure you're ready for what's to come with the Hunters."

"Y-yeah. We're fighting them, huh?" Owen said.

Sta shrugged noncommittally. "Unless we find some way to make a compromise, yep."

Owen nodded, but then gently shuffled his wings, grabbing his right one to pick between the scales. "Klent... where's Amelia?"

The Jumpluff's gaze darkened slightly. "I—er, she's... she's nearby."

A little gust of wind blew through the otherwise still forest. Owen wondered if he should drop the subject, but his mouth moved on its own.

"Should I turn to my Grass form?"

More silence filled the air. The gust of wind had passed, leaving the forest in complete silence.

"No," Klent said. "Stay... stay in that form."

"As—as a Charizard?" Owen stuttered. "Is—isn't that the form that—"

"Not that Charizard," Klent said. "This will do. I'm sure of it. You look... a bit cuter that way."