Chapter 159 - Unwelcome Connections

They weren't about to deal with some unknown number of strange, floating robes that, according to Mhynt, could take over their minds and parasitize their bodies. Instead, they retreated deeper into the caves as Mhynt pooled odd clouds of darkness in her palms, spreading them on the ground. It looked like she was drawing two large wings in the soil.

"Is this supposed to help you conjure your powers?" Trina asked. "Can't you bring it about on command?"

"For short bursts," Mhynt said. "This would be some of my strongest abilities. I need time to prepare. Gather my strength." The Treecko glanced at Trina. "Unless you'd like to risk tumbling aimlessly through Ultra Space again?"

Trina stiffened and stepped back. "Take the time you need."

Mhynt smirked and continued outlining her shadow. Occasionally, Trina watched outside the cave to make sure nothing would sneak up on them, and thankfully, they had evaded detection for the time being.

"Where will we be going?" Trina asked.

"With luck, back home by retracing our steps. We weren't tumbling for too long, and thankfully Ultra Space is still, to an extent, space. Therefore, distance matters."

Trina couldn't imagine something where distance didn't matter, but she decided not to question it.

"By the way," Mhynt said, "why aren't you changing to Serperior?"

"Hm?"

"You seem like the sort of person who would want to look as dignified as possible. Not to offend... Only an impression I had."

She was a little offended. Trina straightened her back. "Well," she said, "as much as I would prefer a larger size, I also did not have the time to go to Xerneas while he prioritized others. Triage. I must re-evolve the normal way until he has time."

"But you're Radiant—ah, Mystic, hm? The power may not be the same, but it lets you toy with your body as another plaything of the world. You can easily do the same."

"I... do not have the power to do so," Trina said.

Mhynt paused her drawing to look back. "Even Owen, who gave up all of his spirits to Enet, can still shift his form if he must."

"I do not house spirits within me in the same way. They maintained the Dungeon I resided in and, after the Voidlands, were... lost when I evaporated upon leaving. I do not know where they went afterward."

"Hmm... They should have gravitated back to you," Mhynt said.

They couldn't have been... erased, right? Hecto and the others said that wasn't possible. If so, where had they gone?

"Well," Mhynt said, "I hope we can find them when this mess is sorted out. Regardless, where did your power go?"

"I gave it to the mutants under my control before," Trina said. She saw the surprise and concern in Mhynt's otherwise stoic expression. "It wasn't to make them dangerous. It was to help them stay in control while I was gone."

"Ahhh. I see." Mhynt nodded. "That's very selfless of you." She returned to her nearly-complete drawing. "And reckless, of course, by sending yourself into the Voidlands straightaway. At least you maintained enough power to hypnotize Team Alloy in case something went wrong."

"That was the hope," Trina said, feeling a pang of guilt. "...I don't like the power, you know. But it's necessary. I suppose I grew... used to it."

"You don't have to justify anything to me," Mhynt replied dismissively. "I know all about how power can make you lose perspective. So often, Legends are, despite once being mortal themselves, just as naïve as any other in the world.