Chapter 112 - From a Flower

One last Hydro Pump for good measure, and Zena was certain that she'd warded Dark Matter away. With an angry huff and a defiant glare, she slithered only a little away from the tree that Owen had become to make sure the false Goodra was truly leaving town.

Zena searched the roots for any flowers that happened to be staring at her. Unfortunately, there were none, and instead she checked to make sure that everyone else was okay. Eon had been reduced to a puddle of pink slime, but his bubbling suggested he was alive.

She tried to help him up. "...And you're okay?"

"Never better," Eon groaned. At least, she thought it was a groan. She wasn't even sure where his head was supposed to be. "Where did... Dark Matter go?"

"Away. I fought him off."

"How?" Eon drew out the question, as if both exhausted and truly befuddled.

"I'm... not sure, but I think the tree that Owen became is giving off an... energy that weakens him. But not enough that we could actually beat him. Only fend him off."

"That's good, at least." Eon bubbled some more. "I'm going to sleep."

"Right there?" Zena asked, but she never received a reply. Frowning, the Milotic turned her attention back to the tree, which was unresponsive. She still had a weak sense of his presence. He was there, safe.

She closed her eyes, finally feeling relaxed enough to doze off herself. Or, perhaps, she'd been so tired fending Dark Matter off that there was little else she could do. A few others came by soon to check on things—first, Gahi, who said that Mhynt was no longer someone that they had to worry about. That was a relief. Had he defeated her? Maybe he was stronger than she'd given him credit.

"So, eh, you gonna stay here?" Gahi asked.

"Mm, I think I am. Someone needs to guard Owen, just in case."

"Right, yeah... He ain't answerin', but I feel'm in there. Maybe he's sleepin'."

"That's what I think. And what of Palkia? Or the other Legends?"

"He's with Dialga. Keeping hidden."

"Good. We actually have some calm for once." Zena sighed. "Still, I'm nervous. Are you sure Mhynt is taken care of?"

"Pinned to the tree by her own blade." Gahi brought his fists to his side proudly. "The Unown that took care o' my body did it to 'er. She's done fer a while. Told me 'mselves."

"What's 'a while' here?" Zena probed.

"Ehh..." Gahi rubbed his nose, turning around so nobody could see his face. "Couple o' days."

Zena glared. "What is a day here, Gahi?"

"A few sleeps, I dunno! Hey, wait!" Gahi whirled around and pointed skyward. "We c'n tell now! Bah! What's a day, we got days now!"

"It looks like night to me." Zena squinted at the shimmering leaves. They were bright on their own, but past them, the sea of stars was surrounded not by a black void, but a deep, deep blue. "Oh... oh, goodness, you're right..."

"Heh. Told ya." Gahi grinned again, flicking his tail a few times.

"The sky... it's really becoming the sky."

Apparently, word had spread. Pokémon were gathering around the tree's perimeter, climbing rooftops, perching on the branches... Zena and Gahi made a point to ward off anybody who tried getting too close to the trunk itself, but nothing stopped them from staring skyward.

Some Pokémon were crying. Some seemed fearful, despite its distant, faraway familiarity. There were a few who wailed openly, like they'd simply remembered something they'd missed for so long. It was bizarre to see... but, Zena thought, she'd only been there for a moon at most. Would she have been the same, being trapped in the Voidlands for centuries... or longer?