Special Episode 8 - Normal Living

Lightning shattered the sky.

Torrential rains obscured anything more than a few feet ahead. Owen's wings were heavy and his flame sputtered boldly against the storm. Lighting the way, aside from his own embers, was a horrible forest fire that had been started by an unlucky lightning bolt. A rare natural disaster, where the rains were not enough to put out the intense flames that fed off of the overgrowth. It would be short-lived.

But there were still Pokémon and humans helpless in that storm, and they had to find as many as they could.

"That way, that way!" Tim called over the wind. He pressed on Owen's left shoulder and the Charizard banked. His pupils dilated, seeing the faded silhouettes of several creatures. He folded his wings down and descended, then abruptly spread them out for a quick stop.

Two humans, a Gabite, and a purple Nidoran were being attacked by agitated-looking Pokémon—a Cherubi and a Grovyle. The humans were shielding the two injured Pokémon.

"Keep them safe," Tim said. "I've got this."

His human jumped from his back and landed. Tim wore a red shirt and black shorts with a yellow stripe that glowed. He quickly pulled out a device from a pouch on his thigh, aiming it at the Cherubi first. It was an odd device that looked similar to a levitating, spinning top; from its bottom point came a trail of bright light that cut through the storm's darkness.

Tim made various rapid gestures with his arms using a control device in his hands, and the Pokémon attacking briefly stopped. The top spun and twirled through the air, forming ethereal ropes that dissolved into particles and clung to the Cherubi. Before she could react, the light completely enveloped her, and she looked briefly dazed.

"It's okay!" Tim shouted, squeezing the device. "We're here to help!"

Cherubi blinked, but then looked at Grovyle, who was rushing toward Tim with his leaves primed for a slashing attack.

Tim deftly hopped back and spun the top around Grovyle next, but he sliced through the threads instead. The top made a worrisome popping noise and Tim tried to recall it for another throw.

"Owen!" Tim shouted.

The Charizard swooped in and blocked the Grovyle's follow-up strike.

"Calm down!" Owen shouted at Grovyle.

"They started the fire. I know it!" Grovyle hissed back.

The fire had them too agitated to think straight. Owen beat his wings and parried Grovyle, just in time for Tim's second attempt. Threads of light dissolved and clung to Grovyle; he snarled and tried to slice at it again, but Tim was faster, skillfully weaving the thread between Grovyle's slash. Then, the light enveloped him next.

"It's okay," Tim pleaded. "Work with us! We have to get you out of here!"

Grovyle had a similarly dazed look, eyeing Cherubi.

"What... did you do?" Grovyle asked Tim.

"It's human magic," Owen explained to Grovyle. "It lets them show you how they truly feel."

Grovyle looked at the little lights that still clung to his scales. He brushed them off, and with it their effects also waned, but Tim didn't look alarmed.

"Fine," Grovyle said. "...Sorry."

"Thank you," said one of the humans that they'd rescued.

"Get out of here," Tim directed. "There's a safe path that way, and rescue crews are waiting. Can you walk?"