Chapter 43 - Holy Poison

Owen didn't know what it was like to slog through poisoned gunk until that day. It was thicker than water, but not quite as thick as mud. Between his scales and his thighs, it had a jelly-like feel to it in some parts, and a vague resemblance to the slime of Emily's insides in others. Every move he made, he could feel it squishing between his toes. Electing to walk through this swamp was possibly the worst decision Owen had ever made.

Amia was on his shoulders, her thin frame squeezed between the two horns behind his head; Enet was on Gahi's shoulders, legs wrapped carefully around his neck, awkwardly leaning to the side due to Gahi's backwards-facing antennae. Her fluff interfered with them, inhibiting his hearing.

Enet growled irritably. "Too thin. Can't sit."

"Oy, ain't my fault I don't got no shoulders," Gahi said. "That's just how m' body works."

Amia adjusted herself; Owen figured his back wasn't the most comfortable seat, but it would do. "It's a little easier for me. Owen's wings and shoulders are just enough for me to stay on."

"I want Owen!" Enet said. "You're lighter! Gahi's slow!"

"I'm what?" Gahi hissed.

"I—I think what Enet means," Amia said delicately, "is that you have more trouble walking with someone on your shoulders. I think I'm lighter than Enet."

If Gahi had fur, Owen was sure it would have been even puffier than Enet's natural fluff. Trying to ignore his offense, the Flygon glared ahead. "Meh..."

"Your bickering is tiring me out," Jerry mumbled. "You, Charizard. Tilt me so I can look forward. I'm tired of staring at your chin."

"Oh—sorry," Owen said.

They had been walking in silence for so long that Owen had forgotten he was holding the head of Aerodactyl Jerry—the only part of him that remained after the poisoned swamp somehow melted him. Every time he talked, the scarf wrapped around his neck glowed softly, as if it was what was allowing him to make sound in the first place.

"You know, I never realized just how heavy a head can be... But maybe that's just because of how strong your jaws are."

"Is that a compliment?"

"I think so," Owen said. "You guys are known for strong jaws, right?"

"Sure."

Owen nodded.

"This place still gives me the creeps... And I don't get why we ain't melting like this guy was." Gahi looked at the Aerodactyl head. "I ain't that different from him, terms of powers and auras. I mean, sure, I got super speed... and I'm artificial... but that... eh..."

"As far as I can tell, your aura should behave similarly to other normal auras, dear," Amia said. "So, you're right. I'm not sure why Jerry here was the only one who melted. Though, now that I get a better look at you, your aura is a bit different, Gahi. Must be the lack of ancestry, like Star said."

"Maybe they don't care for ancient Pokémon species," Jerry muttered. "Ugh, I feel like I have a cramp in my neck."

"Oh—sorry," Owen said. "Here, let me just..." He carefully loosened the Pecha Scarf, but made sure it remained wrapped around him. "How's that?"

"...Better. Thank you. Mmnh... And you're sure you can return me to normal?"

"I have a few ideas, definitely," Owen said. "Too bad it's still kinda hard to test it out while we're here. Once we're done with meeting the Guardian, we'll see if Mispy can help—that Chikorita, remember? Well, she evolved, too, and her healing powers are her specialty. And if not... maybe Emily?"