Chapter 18 - Mistakes

Shortly after Klent revealed his cause of death, Owen had left the table, saying that he wanted to think. Nobody stopped him, though they did watch to see where he went. Zena, however, started to slither after him.

"Zena, wait—" Star said.

Zena spun her head back and gave a glare to the Mew so intense that her pink, misty form fizzled halfway out of existence.

Zena resumed her pursuit. "Owen," she called gently.

The Charmander didn't stop. He was going straight for his home, to his room. The group collectively sighed in relief, but Zena pressed on. He needed company. Even if he didn't remember it, he gave her company in her time of need. It was high time she returned the favor.

"Owen," Zena said again. "Please, look at me."

"No," Owen said. "I need to think."

"Owen," Zena repeated. "May... may I follow you to your room?"

Owen didn't object, so Zena took that as an affirmative. She knew it wasn't the case.

The Charmander went to his room and puffed a small plume of fire at the central fire pit, immediately setting it alight. He dug through his bag next, rummaging for something to calm his nerves. Zena, now closer, noticed that Owen was still trembling. He could barely hold his bag open.

Zena couldn't find her words. He was only a few feet away, and yet they were a world apart.

"Did you know?" Owen said, not turning his head away from the contents of his bag.

Voice missing, Zena could only tense her jaw.

"Did you know I killed him? Did Star tell you?" Owen kept his gaze fixed on the bag.

The Water Guardian was still unable to speak.

"Does everyone here know what's wrong with me? And they just aren't telling me?"

It ate away at Zena. When Owen didn't say anything further, the silence was unbearable. She had to break it. "I—" Zena choked. "I'm sorry, Owen."

Thick silence. The fire crackled a few times in the pit.

"Right." Owen pulled out something from the bag and bit into it. In a blink, he vanished. All that remained of him, for a split-second, were the last few embers of his flame.

<><><>

"Owen has vanished," Valle announced to the others, just outside in the square.

"WHAT?!"

Gahi, the fastest, rushed to the home—followed by Willow, the second fastest. "Zena! What happened?!" Gahi said, but then saw Owen's bag half-open in his room. "...Warp Seed."

Zena turned around. The mutterings and discussion among the others were blurry murmurs to her. She couldn't get that image out of her head. The moment before he left, Owen had looked at her. They made eye contact for just a second. Owen's eyes had never looked so empty and lightless.

"V-Valle! Uh—d-d'you know where he went?" Demitri asked.

"I am searching for him now. The Warp Seed must have brought him somewhere within these caverns." The motionless Rock Shiftry then went silent. "I have found him. He is deeper inside of the caves. He is heading toward the lava flow."

"Wh-why?!" Willow said. "He'll burn up!"

"Doubtful," ADAM said. "Owen's species is capable of surviving in the lava. It is their habitat. It is very likely that he is going there to cool his system. The irony is not lost on me."