Chapter 53 - Similarly Different

Being called a prototype was new. Owen knew it was true, but there was something about actually hearing the word spoken by what was literally an improved version of himself that hurt more than he had expected.

"Har, that was very rude," Trina said. Her eyes were closed and her head was up. "You will apologize."

Har crossed his arms. "I only said the truth. I still owe him a lot."

"Can't you see how offended he looks?" Trina asked, motioning with a vine toward Owen.

In response, the prototype Charizard flinched. "I'm not offended."

"But you are a bad liar," Trina said. "That's ironic, coming from someone meant to be aware of all forms of body language."

"You don't say," Zena mumbled.

Owen glanced pleadingly at Zena; she returned his gaze with an apologetic smile.

Rhys cleared his throat. "Well, we have arrived, as promised. It is the morning after our first visit. Have you made a decision on whether you would like to come with us to Hot Spot Cave?"

Elder waved nervously at Trina, figuring he'd at least try to be useful during this conversation. He was so used to trying—and failing—to convince Guardians to give up their power that he didn't know what to do with himself when that wasn't his task.

"I have come to a decision," Trina said, "on how I will determine whether I will accompany you there."

"Yeah? And what's that?" Owen asked. "W-we have to fight them, don't we?"

Trina gave Owen a wry smile. "That's very interesting of you to say," she said. "Is that what you feel would be the most appropriate?"

Owen fidgeted with his claws. "I mean, what else would it be, right?" he said. "I bet our copies like to fight just as much as we do. And even if that's how we were supposed to be designed, I mean..."

Demitri and Mispy both looked at one another. Owen looked back.

"Hm?" Trina said. "Is something bothering you two?"

Demitri flicked his tail, avoiding anyone's eyes, even Mispy's. "Well, a little," the Haxorus said. "You told us... that we should be proud of what we are. But I don't get how we can." He tapped his left claws against his right arm. "That's why we wanted to come here again. Mispy and I don't... get what you mean."

"Hmm." Trina adjusted her coils. "I see. Because you believe that you have no control over your fates. Is that it?"

Demitri rubbed at his right tusk, pulling it out of its socket and snapping it back in. "I guess so," he said. "Is that it, Mispy?"

Mispy shrugged, unsure herself. "I feel..." But she couldn't finish.

"Lost?" Trina asked.

Demitri and Mispy shook their heads. "Not lost," they both said.

Owen saw Trina's eyes widen imperceptibly, but she masked it an instant later.

"Then you must feel cheated."

They shook their heads again.

"I think I get it," Gahi spoke up.

"Yeah," Owen said, nodding. "I think I know what they're feeling."

"What is it, Owen?" Zena asked. "Is it... that you don't know how you are?"

"It's a little bit of that," Owen said, glancing at Rhys. "But it's more like... I think Demitri and Mispy feel guilty when they feel good about something. Remember back when I talked to Brandon, and he said that my whole cleverness thing was just part of my design?"