Chapter 28 - Evolution Gambit

Owen passed by a tree that had been so badly twisted that the top was touching the ground. Light shined through the gap it left in the canopy, revealing the colorful, fungus-plagued ground he stepped over. His hands, still partly rotten from Anam's strange death fog, felt like they were being constantly prodded with tiny Poison Stings.

"Enet!" Owen yelled.

Amia ran after him, followed by Anam, sluggishly squeezing through the forestry.

Another Psychic blast came his way and he rolled; a rock behind him twisted into rubble. "She means business, huh—?"

"Enet better be careful—where'd she run off to?!" Amia said. "Enet!" She tripped over a vine. "Oh, sh—sugar lumps—" She closed her eyes, scanning for Enet's aura while she tried to stand.

"Wait! But why is she even using Psychic on Enet?" Owen said. "She's Dark, soPsychic won't exactly do all that much!"

James emerged from Anam's body in a black cloud and followed Owen, leaving Anam and Amia behind. "She is trying to disrupt Enet's illusions," he said. "The light is something that Enet isn't used to. It's very likely that if this forest becomes too bright, she won't be able to hide. Rim will likely then use another attack. We must hurry before—"

And just then, Rim sent a strange light directly at something in the shadows. Enet yelped in pain and scrambled into another bush. It must have missed because she wasn't dead yet.

"Ngh—that's not good," James hissed, nearly a hoot. "That was Signal Beam—Enet isn't going to handle a strike like that!" He spotted the Espurr in the trees. James immediately brought a wing forward and made a motion as if drawing from a string; a feather formed from black smoke, and he tugged on a string that appeared from the aether. A second later, he fired. It went straight for Rim. She vanished before it could connect, the feather piercing through the tree behind her.

"Ngh, it's never that easy, is it?" James muttered. "We must hurry!"

"Okay," Anam said, falling over another boulder. Countless forest mushrooms floated throughout Anam's body from his constant tumbles.

More trees fell. Rim was locked onto Enet, no matter how much the wild Guardian tried to maneuver through the darkness.

"Help!" Enet finally cried.

That gave her away. Rim fired another Signal Beam.

"No!" Owen thought fast. His Ember wouldn't block it, nor would any of his projectile strikes. They were all energy-based, and signal-beam might go right through it. But what if—

Owen opened his mouth and launched a vine from his throat. It extended out and he felt his stomach drain as foot after foot of the vine spilled from him, but then realized by some instinct that he was reaching the end of how far he'd be able to extend it. It wasn't going to be enough.

And in that moment, Owen's teeth burst with fire. With wits, instinct, and just a touch of desperate insanity, he chomped down on his own vine, simultaneously searing and cutting it while it was still being launched. It was fast enough that it kept some of its momentum, but the horrible, searing pain that surged through Owen made his vision fade halfway. His blood tasted like grass.

The tip narrowly intercepted the blast, and thankfully, the vine neutralized the attack completely. Owen, feeling significantly lighter, rushed toward where the blast had been aimed and found Enet cowering under a bush.

"Are you okay?" Owen asked.

Enet whimpered, holding her arm. It looked like she had been grazed by the previous attack. Fur was missing the skin beneath was partially charred.