6. Grian, Are You Sure You Want To Live Up Here?

Phil glanced at his avian counterpart. "Are you sure about this, Grian?" He asked the blond man.

"Yeah, it will be amazing!" Grian gasped, jumping around and gliding with his wings. "Imagine, up in the mountains! Only we can reach it! It will be so fun!"

"But it will take so long! And dangerous!" Phil was worried about how they would excavate the mountain to build a house.

"With our wings? I doubt it." Grian snorted. "And we can start with a starter base and then work our way to the grand one after we get netherite armor! It'll work out, don't worry."

"But we'll have to dig the mountain out." Phil said, confused. He didn't think the avian could do it. He was barely strong enough to fight Tommy!

"So?" Grian twirled around to face him. "It'll be fine!"

"If you insist." Phil mumbled, but secretly he hoped that the british would give up after he tried to hollow the mountain.

Grian quickly made an antique stone house, with moss and vines and looking very old fashioned. Phil was impressed by the hermit's building skills. As Grian worked more on the starter house, Phil discovered more about him and hoped even more that Grian wouldn't continue with his plan of excavating the mountain. He'll give up eventually. Phil thought.

He was wrong.

Grian, and basically all of the hermits, had gotten netherite about a week into the new world, while most of the SMP members were just diving into diamond. And the Hermits already started with what they called their 'Mega Bases'. And god were they big.

Xisuma built a bee-land with Tubbo, where they lived in a giant bee. It was weird, but they both loved bees, so it made sense.

Mumbo built a giant, redstone powered base. Impulse built a pretty pyramid, Bdubs a giant village, and Scar a jungle village. Stress also had her base in the jungle, but it was more of a scattered base. Tango built some towers with all kinds of farms, and False invited Techno to live with her in her futuristic cybertown base.

The SMP member's bases looked plain next to theirs. Their little wooden houses and towers were nothing compared to the hermit's giant bases. Even Purpled, who was considered one of the better builders, had to duck in shame when facing Bdubs' hand-made backdrop to his village, or Grian's mansion, stationed in front of the mountain. And the mansion was simply an entrance to his even grander project, the system of caves inside the looming works of nature.

 And the mansion was simply an entrance to his even grander project, the system of caves inside the looming works of nature

Now, Phil, Tommy, and the builder himself lived in the mansion together. Techno enjoyed his potato farm inside False's town, Ranboo was with Mumbo, learning redstone from the older guy, while Iskall and Sapnap played pranks on everyone, using advantage of their invis. The only person who could counter them was Bad, with his Shadow Walking, taking advantage of the shadows of the jungle while living with Stress. Wilbur stayed fascinated by Bdubs' stick and snow measurement tools, while ZombieCleo tried to scare George with her puppet, and succeeded several times. Xisuma and Tubbo lived together, talking about bees and comparing their powers everyday. Impulse and Tango eventually linked their bases, and Dream lived with Scar as the two powers, because even though Xisuma was the admin, Scar was the Mayor.

Mumbo watched the young hybrid at work, pleased with how much he had progressed within the month that they had been together. Ranboo was half-endermen, Mumbo had learned, and that was very helpful while doing redstone. Since he had long arms, Ranboo could reach places where it would be hard for a normal human to reach. Even though he had short-term memory, Ranboo seemed to remember how redstone worked. And he understood it too.

Mumbo backed up a little to give Ranboo space as he stood back from the redstone project. "I think we're good." He said. "Do you want to double check it?"

"No, I think you're good." Mumbo replied. He wanted to build confidence in the young boy, who was very insecure sometimes.

The doorbell rang, sending a cheerful ding throughout the whole base. Hermits needed doorbells that travelled around the whole base, as their homes were so big. "I'll go get the door." Ranboo said, and with purple particles, teleported away. Mumbo skipped to the dining table and prepared a quick snack for these visitors he had.

"Mumbo, it's Tommy, Phil, and Grian!" Ranboo called. Mumbo acknowledged this by putting Tommy's favorite custard cream biscuits and bourbons down. All three britishes liked it, and as did Mumbo, so it fit the occasion.

"M Money!" Tommy called as soon as he came into Mumbo's view. "How are you doing?"

"Great, Tommy, thanks." Mumbo replied. "I put your favorite biscuits down. They're in the dining hall."

"Thank you, M Money!" Tommy yelled, hurrying into the dining hall.

Mumbo shared an amused look with Grian. "He's a handful."

"Yeah." Grian said. "He blew up the creeper farm last week. It works fine now, don't worry. But Phil dealt with him."

"I hope his power is anger control." Phil muttered. They all laughed.

"How's Ranboo?" Phil asked after they sat down at the table. Ranboo was showing the base to Tommy, who's never visited before.

Grian turned to face Mumbo as well. "I heard he was learning redstone with you."

"And he's coming along very nicely." Mumbo said, eyes shining with pride of his apprentice. "He's better than you already, Grian."

"I'll bet!" Grian laughed. "I might ask you to apprentice me as well!"

"Tommy's already your apprentice... of pranks." Phil teased.

The three older people spent the rest of the day chatting, unaware that their apprentices were already gone, up to some shenanigans.

------------------------------------

A/N: SPECIAL THANK YOU TO RACHEL FOR THE AMAZING ART

GO FOLLOW HER HERE

https://www.instagram.com/a.r.e_arts/

'edited' on Jan 23rd 2022