24. And... I Feel Like I'm Forgetting Someone Here...

SAD-ist watched as River tugged at her gloves, anxious. The young girl had been pacing around the whole day, staring out the window of their modern house. SAD-ist knew that something was up, but she didn't quite know what. She shrugged it off and returned to her new artwork, a redraw of Ada's newest vision.

It was a couple days ago. Ada had gotten another 'vision', and it turned out to be a war scene. Two men, with sleek gray wings, held up crossbows in the air as their allies charged from below, all holding tridents. The enemy contained a pig-like man with bright red eyes and long pink hair, holding a netherite sword. A masked man stood beside him. SAD-ist had already touched the drawing, watching it come alive.

The two sides had rushed at each other, but most of the fighters broke off, slowing down and disappearing in the distance, leaving only a single boy and the masked man, rushing at each other. As they crashed together, the whole screen turned white before two disks flashed on the screen. Then everything fell still.

SAD-ist didn't really know what it meant. The only thing was, there were people in this animation that were also in the first. One of the avians, for example, was in the first picture.

SAD-ist glanced at River again. She seemed to have understood the entire vision, but didn't tell anyone about it. Something's up. SAD-ist thought to herself.

Suddenly, River froze. SAD-ist watched the girl wipe away the foggy condensation on the glass. She stared out once more before turning to SAD-ist.

The older girl flinched a little. Even though SAD-ist always had a mask on, River's silver eyes always seemed to penetrate the mask completely. And her eyes were always severe or mysterious. Even though SAD-ist had lived with River for about two years, she still couldn't bring herself to trust the younger girl yet.

But if River saw the flinch, she ignored it. "There's someone out there." River announced, turning back to the window.

SAD-ist came up to the window and looked out. River wasn't lying. There was, indeed, a figure, stumbling in the distance. "Whoever it is, they look injured." SAD-ist noticed.

"Should we go help them?" River asked, turning to her.

"Of course!" SAD-ist exclaimed. "We can't let someone just stay out there, hurt." She said.

River nodded. "My thoughts exactly, come on."

They raced out of their house, heading straight for the figure in the distance. As SAD-ist got closer, she could tell that whoever it was, they were hurt pretty badly.

SAD-ist slowed down when she got closer to the person, now able to recognize their features. It was a girl, just about her own age, with dark-brown hair and brown eyes. She was stumbling along the road though.

SAD-ist watched River approach the girl slowly. "Hi." River said quietly.

The girl looked up. "Hi." She replied weakly.

"Are you hurt?" River asked.

The girl nodded. "I sprained my ankle. Can you guys help?" She turned to SAD-ist.

"Of course." River said. "SAD?"

SAD-ist nodded, and stood on the other side of the girl. She wrapped one arm around SAD-ist's neck and the other around River's as the two slowly trotted home.

On the way, the girl introduced herself to SAD-ist and River. Her name was Derivakat, and she was a traveller. Derivakat had gotten into a fight with a bear in the woods and injured her ankle when she was running away.

Now, Derivakat was resting on a couch, her injured ankle resting on a chair. River was wrapping a bandage around her ankle. Ely and Ada were both watching, asking Derivakat questions.

"What's your power?" Ada asked.

Derivakat paused. Her brown eyes were hesitant. "I don't know." She finally confessed. "I haven't discovered it yet."

"Oh." Ada said.

"Feel better?" River asked, bandage finished.

"Yeah." Derivakat said.

"You'll need to rest for a while before you go on, if you go on." River instructed. "I think we have an extra room where you can stay in."

"Thank you all so much." Derivakat said after she had been moved to her new room. "Really, thank you for helping me."

"No problem." SAD-ist reassured. "We couldn't just let you stay out there, injured."

SAD-ist left the room so Derivakat could get her rest. As she descended the stairs, she stopped in her tracks as she saw the window where River had first seen Derivakat. River had paced around the room all day, as if she knew Derivakat would arrive. But how? SAD-ist wondered.

"Derivakat, where did you come from?" A faint question flowed out of Derivakat's room. SAD-ist realized that River was still in the newcomer's room.

SAD-ist continued down the stairs, this time more solemn. River was hiding something, and she will find out what it is.

A/N: i feel like we needed more fanartist dynamic in here

also derivakat your songs are pog

word count: (without the a/n this time because we have a cool number) 777

ok look i don't get it, because every time i check on a chapter again, the word count changed, and idk why. now it's 845 or smth, and i swear i didn't edit the chapter that much.

i checked it again and now we're at 896. i don't get it (future echo is baffled by it too)

ALSO, NUMBER 11 ON DSMP OUT OF 5K STORIES! THIS WAS ON WEDNESDAY JUNE 2ND, BUT I PUT IT HERE BECAUSE I HAD NO WHERE ELSE TO PUT IT! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH LIKE WTHHHHHHH WE WERE 16TH TWO DAYS AGO (like from this time)

and apparently wasps really like our classroom, because we've have THREE wasps enter our classroom in the last two days... depressing

gl to you all and have a good weekend, hope you don't get burnt by the sun, for those of you who live in the northern hemisphere

'edited' on Jan 23rd 2022