50. Reawakened

The world flashed white in front of Phil, the complete opposite of when he had died. He blinked the white dots away, trying to form his surroundings.

Slowly, it came to him. He was in a stone box, with two torches on either side - to keep mobs from spawning, he assumed - and surrounded by straw. His wings were laid open delicately, his feather lying comfortably on the straw beneath him. Phil's heart warmed at the sight of his body being so well taken care of after he had died.

Time to break out. Phil thought, reaching for his pickaxe. Then, he realized that he didn't have it on him.

Wonderful.

Phil spent the next minute of his life punching through stone with his fists, and then another minute of his life punching through another piece of stone with his fists so that he could actually stand up. Dusting himself off, the avian blinked at the strong light.

He spotted his tools almost instantly, hung up on the wall neatly. Sighing in relief, he took them off the walls and placed his sword at his hip. Phil also saw his armor, but decided to not carry those around with him.

The ground shook beneath his feet, but Phil caught his balance. The shaking stopped and Phil sprinted out of the room, suspecting that something was wrong.

He had been placed in the arena. Phil ran past the doors in the hallways, acknowledging that Grian had fixed the needle pit, covering it up. He raced up the staircase, out the doors and into the battlefield.

Phil immediately noticed the dust rising from the Eaglestar's base. Coughing, he shielded his face and kept going.

Through the yellow mist, Phil distinctly saw a body fly up, into the air. Shouts and screams penetrated his eardrums, and Phil snapped open his wings, dashing up into the sky.

A crash shook the ground beneath him, causing his vision to shift at the sudden movements. His wings faltered for a second, but Phil regained his balance quickly. Looks like I'm not used to the mortal world yet. He thought, moving up at a steady pace.

His arms reached out just as the body fell. Phil caught GoodTimeWithScar, limp, before he crashed into the ground.

Phil gently lowered himself onto the floor, letting the body fall from his arms. He stared for a single moment at Scar's still body, not understanding why there was no grief inside of him, then the screams reached him.

"Scar!" Grian's british voice, stretched to higher an octave, reached him. The builder raced forwards and skidded to his knees in front of Scar's body. "Scar! No! I-" The avian-god, the avian-bended over, overcome with grief.

"We checked! We checked and double-checked that there was no one in the building! How could you have-" Grian choked, turning towards Wilbur, but the latter was staring at Phil.

"We... we did check." Wilbur murmured, almost zombie-like.

A high-pitched scream brought both the father and son's attention to Grian. The avian was waving his arms frantically as Scar's body slowly dissipated, blending into the dust swirling around them. "Scar! Scar!" He looked around frantically. "Why-why is he disappearing!? Scar!"

A faint reply came. "Grian?"

The avian was pale as he looked towards where the voice came from. He stood up on wobbly legs as a figure rose in the debris of the mountain. "S-Scar?"

The terraformer appeared, pushing away stone and dirt before standing up straight, looking directly at Grian. "Grian!"

The two ran at each other, and Grian wrapped his arms and his wings around Scar. "Oh, Scar, I'm so so sorry, we were sure that there was no one in the building before we blew it up... please, it was just a prank!"