19. There is a Traitor Among Us

A/N: AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHHA BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THIS ONE

ENJOY (future echo likes past echo's evilness)

"Could you get some more fireworks?" False asked Tubbo as she adjusted Tommy's grip on his crossbow. "Like that." She said to Tommy.

"Ok." Tubbo happily agreed as Tommy complained under his breath. Smiling at his friend, Tubbo skipped through the metal door of the dusty arena, where they were training. He walked down the hallway, relief flowing through his veins as Tubbo remembered that Grian had added more lights to the hallways, diminishing the spooky look. It was pretty alright, but Tubbo - and George - had refused to go down the hallway. He was spooked too easily.

Tubbo reached the door where fireworks were held. He pulled down the lever - there was no trap, like George had claimed, and opened the door once a click signified that it unlocked.

Tubbo reached one of the shulker boxes - after a lot of debating at the beginning of the world, Dream had agreed to let the hermits go to the end and fight the ender dragon, allowing them to get shulker boxes because the hermits grinded so much - and opened it. What he saw surprised him. The fireworks were wet, drooping depressingly and dripping water as Tubbo picked one up.

Tubbo closed the chest, looking at the lid again. The wood wasn't wet. Either was the ceiling dripping water when Tubbo looked up. As he opened the chest again, glancing inside at the wet fireworks, he could only come to one conclusion.

They were sabotaged.

It was obvious. There was no source of water from above which could have got through the wood. Even if there was, the lid of the chest was completely dry. And by the looks of the fireworks, the sabotage was fairly fresh. Even if this was an accident, the person who accidently spilled water wouldn't have just left the fireworks here. They would have brought the fireworks with them, probably apologizing to someone and replenishing the stock by asking Grian or Phil, as they had access to a creeper farm.

All these thoughts flew through Tubbo's mind as he stared at the wet fireworks. They were sabotaged, alright.

But by who was the real question.

Quickly, Tubbo filed through a list of people. Grian was in the shopping district, and Phil and Wilbur had gone for a walk. False and Tommy and him were training. Xisuma was brewing potions. The only ones unaccountable for were George and Mumbo.

But it could be anyone. Who knew where Phil and Wilbur had gone? And was Grian really in the shopping district? Both False and Tommy had left the room before. It could even be someone from the other side, like Sapnap or Bad, Tubbo realized, but he thought that it was unlikely that the enemy would sneak in just to destroy some fireworks.

It has to be a mole. Tubbo decided. One of us is a traitor.

That thought alone brought shivers down Tubbo's back. He could not imagine any of his teammates betraying their side. The thought of Grian or Phil on the other side...

Tubbo shivered. He closed his eyes and took a few breaths, thinking about his next steps. If there was a mole, then Tubbo couldn't trust anyone. Well, I can trust Tommy, right? Tubbo asked himself. He's the one who started this. He wouldn't sabotage our side. I can trust Tommy.

The door creaked behind him. Tubbo jumped up, heart pounding with fear. His breath hitched in his throat, and Tubbo slid to the shadows, heart beating so fast and loud that he thought even the newcomer could hear it.

"Tubbo?" Tommy's voice drifted through the opening.

Tubbo relaxed, his breathing returning to normal as he slid out of the darkness. "Here." He said weakly.

Tommy frowned. "Are you ok? False sent me to check on you, because you were gone for so long." Tommy looked at his friend, noticing how shaken Tubbo was. "What happened?" He asked.

"I just got scared, that's all." Tubbo said. "But take a look at this." Tubbo held out a wet firework.

Tommy took the artillery from him, taking a closer look. "Where did you find it?" He asked. "And why is it wet?"

Tubbo stepped aside silently, revealing the box of wet fireworks. "Someone sabotaged them." He told Tommy as the tall boy examined the chest.

"Who?" Tommy murmured, taking another firework.

"That's what I want to know." Tubbo said. "There's a traitor among us, Tommy."

Tommy bit his lips. "I know." He said. "I mean, obviously there is." He gestured to the chest of wet fireworks.

"How are we gonna deal with this, Tommy?" Tubbo asked.

"Let's call a meeting." Tommy said. "We can talk it out."

"Wait, Tommy!" Tubbo needed to explain that they couldn't call a meeting, because then the mole would know that they were onto him or her.

"What?" Tommy asked.

"Tommy, we can't call a meeting! The mole would then know that we're onto them!" Tubbo cried. "We don't know who we can trust!"

Tommy paused. Tubbo could practically see the gears turning in his friend's head. "Maybe... let's tell Dadza?" Tommy suggested. "We can trust him, right?" The look on Tommy's face was pleading.

"I don't know." Tubbo murmured.

"Tubbo, if we can't trust Dadza, who can we trust?" Tommy threw up his hands with anxiety.

"I suppose your right." Tubbo sighed. "Go and tell Dadza."

Tommy nodded, exiting the storage room. He ran down the hallway, opposite from the arena. Tubbo followed more slowly, taking his time as Tommy disappeared through the light at the end.

His mind was whirling, trying to figure out who it was. Who seemed sus during the battle. Tubbo recalled moments from the beginning of the war, scrolling through each and every motive. The aerial fight. And suddenly, he knew. There was only one person who could be the spy, who was acting weird.

Tubbo ran after his friend, excited to tell him about his suspicions. I'm right. I have to be. He thought.

As he reached the last door of the hallways, Tubbo felt an arm grab him roughly, and he was tugged into the empty storage room. Tubbo wanted to scream, but a hand clamped tightly over his mouth.

"Sorry." A soft voice murmured by his ear. "Now that you know my identity... we can't let you pass that information on." A cruel smile lit his captor's face. "Say goodbye to your friends, Tubbo." The captor whispered, and then everything went dark in front of Tubbo's eyes.

word count: 1174

A/N: yeah i get that when tubbo figures out the traitor it's a bit vague, but y'all don't get to know who the traitor is yet... unless you've already figured it out

i've been dropping a lot of hints in the past couple of war chapters ;)

if you think you know comment who you think it is here, if you don't want to know then don't click on the comments here lol

(future echo here, y'all are so smart and i was so obvious lol)

'edited' on Jan 23rd 2022