26. If a Trade is For a Trade, Then a Kidnapping is For... a Sabotage?

"Are you sure about this?" Phil whispered to Grian. They were slowly approaching the Eaglestar's base, sneaking to prevent anyone from seeing them.

"Yes." Grian said. He was determined. Yesterday, they had talked to Dream, who had Tubbo and threatened Tommy to give up the discs. Grian knew now what happened when he was building the barge. Phil had explained it all to him. Tubbo had been kidnapped, and now Dream had him. Everyone knew there was a spy. No one knew who it was. But Grian didn't care about that. He only cared that Tubbo was captured, and he could die. So Grian was infiltrating the Eaglestar's base. And Phil was helping him.

"What are we even going to do?" Phil asked, still whispering.

Grian shrugged. "I don't know." He didn't really. Grian wasn't one to plan out his moves. He usually went with the flow and hoped it would turn out ok.

Phil smacked his forehead. "You don't know?! How are we going to... do whatever we're doing if you don't know?!"

"Well, I have a couple of ideas." Grian said.

"Ok...?" Phil said, confused.

"You'll see, Phil." Grian said. He tossed Phil a lavender potion and drank his own before opening his wings and taking off. The wind whipped his face as he ascended quickly, heading straight for the top of the base. The sound of wind almost drowned out the second beating pair of wings behind him, but Grian knew that Phil was following.

Grian landed lightly on top of the roof. Even though he was now invisible, Grian would still make noise, so he had to be careful. A light thump told him that Phil had landed as well. "Grian?" Phil said behind him. "What exactly are we doing?"

Grian shrugged. "Doing what I do best." He said with a wicked smile as he pulled out TNT. "Blowing things up."

A smile started to appear on Phil's face too, although the avians couldn't see each other, Grian knew that Phil was smiling. "I'm down." Phil said.

"Good." Grian said. He felt relief spread through his body, giving his numb body life and making it warm. He was scared that he'd have to go through with the operation alone, but it seemed like Phil was going to help. "Let's be quiet first. Set down some TNT and then blow it up when we are far away."

"What about Tubbo?" Phil asked. "He might get hurt in the explosion."

Hot anger filled Grian as he thought of Tubbo. How dare Dream take him?! How dare Dream threaten to kill Tubbo if Tommy didn't give up the discs?! How dare Dream?! How dare he even threaten to kill Tubbo?! He should not have this power in his hands. Grian was mad. 'Mad' wasn't even beginning to describe how Grian was feeling. It was more of a combination of rage at Dream, determination to get Tubbo back, and vengeance that burned him on the inside. But it wasn't a painful burn. It was more of hungry fire, feeding him on the inside and pumping his adrenaline on.

It made Grian feel powerful, and he kinda liked it.

"Tubbo will be fine." Grian said. "In fact, if all goes well, he'll be more than fine." Grian took a deep breath before saying his next words. It was a big thing to promise. "He'll be back with us."

Phil's eyes widened in surprise, then hardened into determination. Grian, of course, didn't see this, as they were both invisible, and the other avian had turned away, shovel in hand.

As quietly as he could, Grian broke the top of the mountain, taking away the dirt and allowing the two avians a clear entrance. Grian jumped down first, opening his wings and hanging in the air once he was in the building. Phil followed right after him.

Grian handed Phil half of his TNT and whispered, "Place these where they won't be seen easily, but will set off a chain reaction."

"Got it." Phil replied back, and Grian felt the wind, which was constantly being stirred by Phil's wings, slowly decrease, signalling that Phil was flying away.

Grian went the opposite direction of Phil, in order to make use of all the TNT. He worked quickly and quietly, breaking blocks two deep into the wall, placing a TNT, and then replacing the block on the wall. He repeated this process every four or five blocks along the whole wall before moving to the next floor, linking the TNT up through the staircase as well.

"Hey, Grian!" Grian heard a voice call him. He whipped around, scared that he had been discovered and checked his clothes to make sure he was still invisible. He was. "Grian?"

Grian recognized the voice. It was Phil. "Phil?" He called back.

"Over here." Phil called. Grian followed Phil's voice, finding him eventually at a hole, lower in the walls. It was clearly broken by Phil. "Look." He instructed, and Grian felt a hand grab his, tugging him down.

Grian crouched down beside Phil, peering into the low hole. His eyes widened as he caught the familiar sight of red wires and metal dispensers, pistons, and all things redstone. "Do you think...?" Grian asked.

Phil nodded. "Yeah, I think this is where the Eaglestar's redstone is." He said. "Should we place some TNT?"

Grian hesitated. As much as he hated Dream and wanted Tubbo back, he knew how hard redstone was - because he couldn't do it. He had seen the exhaustion on Mumbo's face after he had worked on their redstone. By the looks of things, this machine was way more complicated than theirs. Grian would feel bad if he got rid of Tango and Impulse's work, a project they might have worked on for days non-stop.

"Let's leave it alone." Grian said quietly. "Let's go... there's TNT waiting."

Phil nodded, and Grian withdrew from the redstone, placing blocks over the hole Phil had made. They made use of their last minute of invisibility to escape the mountain, climbing out of the little indent they made at the top when they went in. As Grian's invisibility wore off, he placed down a single block of TNT.

Grian took a deep breath as he held the flint and steel in his hands. He knew that when he struck it, the building would explode. Phil stood behind him, no expression on his face. Grian would have to make the decision.

Even though it pained Grian to explode such a beautiful building, the simple memory of Tubbo, scraped and injured, brought fury to his whole body.

Without hesitation, Grian struck the flint and steel together, watching as a spark sprang from the material and landed on the TNT. The explosive glowed dangerously as Grian smiled and took off in one swift jump, quickly swirling away from the soon-to-be destruction.

Grian and Phil watched as the TNT went off, taking the top of the mountain with it. A pause, and a sudden flash of panic raced through Grian as he imagined that the chain of TNT hadn't been close enough to the first one.

He didn't have to worry, because a second later, ear-deafening explosions sounded in the building, and Grian smiled as he saw the mountain shake and tremble with the force of the TNT.

Grian glanced at Phil. He was grinning too, and the two avians waved at a fuming Dream, who had just ran outside the building, before turning and heading back to their own base.

Grian could finally enjoy the fresh air brushing past his face as he flew with Phil.

Revenge at last.

WC: 1288

A/N: yep our favorite gremlin has revealed his dark side...

'edited' on Jan 23rd 2022