18. Every Ultimate Empire Starts Somewhere, Including the Barge

Grian dusted his hands, placing them on his hips. He smiled happily as he looked down at the little floating boat in the shallow waters of the shopping district. The Great Grian Goodies. That's what Grian was calling his newest, and only shop in this world, now officially called the Dreamcraft, a combination of Hermitcraft and Dream SMP. It wasn't the most creative name, but it would work.

The first fight was over. Grian's side had won the battle, and Phil was recovering, fast. In fact, he was almost good as new, from what Grian had seen today.

But war wasn't Grian's only life. They had been in the world for months on months, but Grian, and most of the hermits, hadn't developed their shops yet, due to the war. Now, Grian was taking the chance to make some diamonds, starting his own shop.

The raft itself was simple but elegant. Broken campfires gave the structure a base, while spruce trapdoors and signs dotted the perimeter. One of the signs displayed the name of the shop: HMS GGG. A dock made from spruce trapdoors gave visitors a path to the raft itself, where barrels, filled with sand and gravel, sat, waiting to be emptied by shoppers. A single stick awaited in the middle of the raft, flagless.

But it wouldn't be any longer. Grian gingerly reached up and hung a lantern from the stick. He held his breath as it wobbled in the wind, and relaxed as it kept its position, not falling off. Tying down ropes to make the raft seem like it was being tethered down, Grian also placed pots of plants on the little boat, giving it more life.

Finally, he was done. Such a small shop, but Grian was determined to work his way up from the bottom. He would use the diamonds that he makes here and invest them back into his shop.

"Hey." Grian turned around to see Phil. The avian was recovering from the wounds on his wings. They were somewhat healed, allowing Phil to walk around, but he couldn't fly without straining his wings and opening the wounds again.

"Hi." Grian replied. "How are your wings?"

"Better." Phil said. "Wilbur says I can fly in two days, if all goes well."

Grian smiled. "I'm glad." He said. Grian relied on his wings. Without them, he wouldn't know how to function, really. He wouldn't be able to get around, and life would just be horrible in general.

"You're building a shop?" Phil seemed to just notice the raft, floating contently behind Grian.

"Yep." Grian said, grinning. "I'm downright broke, and it'd be nice to have a diamond chandelier in the mansion, won't it?"

"That's actually a brilliant idea." Phil said.

"Why thank you." Grian did a little bow. "What are Tommy and Tubbo doing?" He asked Phil as he escorted him to the nether portal.

Phil shrugged. "Planning for war." He said. "That's all they do. Well, I'll see you around?" He asked Grian as they reached the purple, swirling portal.

"Yeah. Bye!" Grian waved to Phil as he stepped into the obsidian frame, disappearing in mere seconds. He hummed to himself as he opened his wings, lifting into the air and enjoying the bird-eye-view of the shopping district, completely oblivious of the treachery happening at the medieval war castle.

word count: 558

A/N: just a filler chapter to break it up a bit... but it's kinda important in the next chapter... you'll see ;)

i've wrote exactly one paragraph between the last update and this one... sigh...

it's fine.

i have ✨ backups  for a reason

(future echo couldn't resist adding ✨to her past self's writing)

i'll just be stressed further down the road, but oh well

hope you guys have a good weekend :)

'edited' on Jan 23rd 2022