48. The Voices in His Head (ft Letter)

The letter arrived in the form of a stumbling, half-frozen avian.

Grian tumbled down from the sky, his wings limp but shining strangely rainbow in the cold sun, and collapsed, right in front of Techno.

Techno's first thought was that Grian was coming to avenge Phil, and he was going to fight him. His sword was half unsheathed before he realized that the avian had fallen, and was in no state to fight. His senses returned to him.

"False!" Techno called, shuffling his steps awkwardly. He didn't know what to do with the trembling, unconscious avian.

"What is it, Techno?" False replied, her sword in her hand as she came from the training grounds. Techno gestured at Grian wordlessly, and her blue eyes widened as she caught sight of the avian.

False turned to Techno. "Techno, what did you do to him?" She asked, hands on her hips.

Techno smiled, panicking underneath. "Nothing. I found him like this. No, no, he fell out of the sky like this." He said, quickly correcting his mistake.

False's eyebrows raised skeptically as she looked at him, and Techno tried to give her the most innocent, convincing smile that he could. I don't think that worked.

"Well, we better take him inside or he'll freeze." False said. "Come on."

An hour later, Techno sat opposite False on their small table, both of them stealing glances at the avian, who was passed out on the couch. "Why do you think he came?" False asked quietly.

Techno shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe Tommy finally drove him away." He said, smiling a little.

"He wouldn't come to the mountains." False pointed out. "And I don't think so. He and Tommy are quite close. Very close, in fact."

Techno shrugged again, taking a sip from his cup and looking at Grian. The avian still retained his position from when he fell, curled up into a ball with his wings wrapped around him, but his face looked more relaxed than he was when he fell.

Grian turned, and his wings opened a bit as he uncurled, stretching before he turned to face the back of the couch, and presumably fell asleep again. Techno turned back to False, who shrugged as well, going back to her drink.

So when a crashing noise sounded behind him, Techno drew his sword on instinct and almost sliced False's head off as he turned around to face the new threat. False, being the PvP queen she was, ducked in time. The mugs of hot chocolate on the table weren't as fortunate and received a full blast to the face, shattering into pieces and spilling the drink onto the floor.

Grian had fallen onto the floor, and now he was standing up, alarm in his eyes as he scanned his gaze around the room several times. His black eyes were feverish and it took him several scans to finally spot Techno, who sheathed his sword with a sigh.

"Techno! You're here! Thank goodness! I-" Grian began to speak, but False stood up from where she was.

"Grian, why are you here?" She asked, glaring angrily at the hot chocolate on the floor. "And Techno, I expect you to clean that up."

Techno sighed again and drew out a tablecloth as he listened to False questioning Grian.

"I came to give a letter to Techno. It's from Wilbur." Grian said. "I flew for two days straight. You guys chose a good spot to live."

"Thanks?" Techno muttered as he finished wiping up the hot chocolate.

"I was up in the air when I saw you. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I could go any further, so it was good that you were where you were." Grian said. "So I guess I ended up here. Nice place. Did you build it yourself?