40. Snapchat Meets 'Turn Back Time, Oh Oh' & Las Drogas

New characters:

KarlJacobs (Karl): Able to travel through time (but loses a bit of himself everytime he does)

Quackity (Quackity, Big Q): Able to transform into a duck with blue shorts

Sapnap was walking back to the Omega Tree, wanting to grab his stuff from his house and greet Iskall when he heard leaves rustling near him. Sapnap stopped in his tracks and turned invisible before slipping towards the sound.

He blinked as the sunlight shone into his eyes. He had exited the darkness of the jungle forest to find himself on the edge of a clearing. Sapnap blinked again and saw the source of the noise.

A guy in a purple hoodie, with a spiral on the chest of the fabric, laughed as a man with a dark blue beanie and a dark blue jacket swung down from a treehouse, crashing into several branches on the way. "Quackity, you'll hurt yourself!" The first guy said as Quackity, the guy with the blue beanie, climbed the tree.

"It'll be fine, Karl!" Quackity replied, and this time dragged Karl down as they both fell down the tree. Sapnap gasped. The tree was at least 20 meters tall. Sure one of them will get hurt?

Karl let out a whoop of excitement as they fell, and Sapnap sighed in relief as he finally saw the wooden slide hidden with all the other branches of the tree.

Sapnap watched the two play for a long time, astonished. He had never seen anyone so carefree and joyful in a while, not since the war started. Suddenly, he wished that he was there with them, playing, laughing together. He wanted to feel belonged.

Sapnap did a double take at his feelings. Belonged? He did belong, with George and Dream. They were his best friends, and had been for a long time. But as he looked back to Karl and Quackity, Sapnap realized that this was something different. He wasn't sure what, but all he knew was that he wanted to interact with Karl and Quackity. He just wanted something.

Shyly, Sapnap let the invisibility go, and deliberately kicked a pile of leaves beside him, making a lot of noise to alert Karl and Quackity. They turned their heads in sync and looked at Sapnap.

"Hi." Sapnap said. "I'm sorry if I interrupted anything. I was just passing by and I saw you two."

Karl waved. "No problem!" He said happily. "We're building a house. Wanna come in?"

Sapnap was surprised by Karl's enthusiasm. He wouldn't invite a stranger into his house, but maybe Karl and Quackity were different. "Sure." Sapnap said cautiously, and he followed Quackity up the tree, finding it difficult to jump from branch to branch. By the time the three had reached the top of the tree, Sapnap was already panting.

"Come in, um... What's your name?" Quackity asked.

"Sapnap." Sapnap said. "My name is Sapnap."

"Ok, Snapchat." Karl said. He giggled, and Quackity smiled as Sapnap lightly punched Karl. "I'm Karl Jacobs. This is Quackity."

"Me gustaaaa." Quackity said, and Karl burst out in giggles as Sapnap smiled, confused. "Welcome, Snapmap."

Sapnap punched Quackity lightly again before the three stepped into the house. Sapnap's eyes adjusted to the light and he saw a cozy house. It was made of purple and white concrete, with blue sea lanterns to light the house. There was a working desk with a small yellow flower on the table. Two beds, placed right next to each other, one light purple and the other dark blue.

"Wow." Sapnap gasped as he took in the whole house. "This looks really nice!"

"Thank you!" Karl laughed. "Me and Quackity spent all day yesterday working on it! But we're not done yet. We're planning to expand it."

"Want me to help?" Sapnap offered without thinking. On the inside, he cringed. He had promised Dream that he'd check in on George today. And he needed to get his stuff from the Omega Tree. But looking at Karl and Quackity, he found that he was fine with not doing what he was suppose to do. It's fine. He told himself. I'll ask Bad to check in on George. And I can get my stuff another day.

"Oh, really?" Quackity asked. "That would be very helpful."

Sapnap grinned, pushing his worries to the back of his head as he started to help Karl and Quackity build their house.

"We'll need to tear the back wall off first." Karl instructed.

"I can do it." Quackity said. "Snapmap, how about you go with Karl to get more concrete?"

"Works!" Sapnap said happily, and as Quackity picked up his pickaxe, he followed Karl down the tree house to collect sand and gravel.

"I'll get some gravel." Karl said. "You can get the sand."

Giving Karl a smile, Sapnap took his shovel and started to dig sand.

While the two worked, Sapnap learned more about Karl and Quackity. Karl was 22, and Quackity was 20. Karl had the ability to travel through time on command, and Quackity could transform into a duck who wore a pair of blue shorts. Sapnap thought that it was pretty funny, and Karl did too. Sapnap told Karl about his power, invisibility.

"Huh." Karl said. "I thought that your power would be fire control or something." He said. When Sapnap tilted his head in confusion, Karl elaborated. "Because of the fire on your shirt and everything."

Sapnap looked down at his white shirt, glancing at the fire symbol on his shirt. "Huh." He said. "I've never thought of that."

Karl nodded at him. "I think that'd be really cool, you know." He said. "To be able to control fire."

"I know someone who can control the earth." Sapnap blurted out. "And someone who can control the wind." He added, remembering Punz.

"Wow." Karl said. "You'll have to take us to meet them one day."

Sapnap opened his mouth, about to explain the war, but Quackity spoke behind him. "Hey Karl, Snapmap, I took down the wall. Let's get on with it."

"Ok." Karl said happily, and Sapnap swallowed back his explanation of the war as he followed Karl and Quackity back to the tree house.

Karl set out to turn the concrete powder to real concrete while Quackity and Sapnap started to expand the house.

The three worked on the house, the sun slowly inching below the horizon. Sapnap pushed all worries of the war to the back of his mind and laughed with his new friends as they built the tree house.

Grinning at Karl and Quackity through the golden sunlight, Sapnap realized he had not felt this carefree for a long time. Turning away so that the two could not see his face, and in turn his displayed emotions, Sapnap thought about the last time he was this happy, and could not recall it. Ever since the war started, he had been worrying about Dream, about the fights, and now about George, and if he was ok.

The war has been such a burden on my mind. Sapnap realized. It's been tearing away at my sanity for a long time. But being with Karl and Quackity is helping.

"Hey Sapnap, you ok?" Quackity asked.

Sapnap snapped back to the world. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine." He said hurriedly, giving Karl and Quackity an unconvincing smile. "I'm just... thinking."

"If you need anything, we'll always be here." Karl said, smiling gently. Quackity nodded his agreement vigorously beside him.

"I know." Sapnap said weakly, thankful for the two. "Thank you."

As he returned to work, Sapnap wondered what a life without war would feel like.

WC: 1200

A/N: i had so much fun writing this i swear

fun fact: big q's power used to be that he was always high

fun fact 2: this chapter used to be kinda important to the plot, but not anymore so it's just a wholesome oneshot sort of thing

fun fact 3: school's starting tmr, wish me luck