Chapter 5 Kayla's POV

"Woah, when did that get there?" I ask. The maze? A random gap in the wall?

"The doors opened when you were fast asleep," Newt says.

"Not my fault I'm a heavy sleeper," I say. "What the heck is a maze?"

"You don't know what a maze is?" Newt asks.

"That's not what I meant. I meant, why is a maze...surrounding The Glade?" I ask, this time clarifying. Why would there be a maze?

"It's the only way out of here. If only we could find an exit. I gotta go, I'm a runner too. I think you two should go find Alby," Newt says as he stands up and runs toward the door.

"Uhm, okay. So we have to find Alby. If I run into Gally, it ain't gonna be pretty," I say and stand up.

"I'll help you," Lily laughs and stands up too. "I think he's really creepy and rude.

"You got that right," I say.

We go look for Alby and finally find him over by the graveyard forest, well at least that's what I call it.

"Hey, we were told to look for you," I say.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. You guys can help around The Glade," he says.

"Oh my, for the last time we ain't guys," Lily says.

"And why are you standing by the graveyard forest?" I ask.

"Force of habit and graveyard forest?" he asks looking confused.

"That's just what I'm calling it," I say.

"That's actually a good name for it," Lily says.

"Anyways, you two can go train to be a med-jack," Alby says.

"That's not a good idea. I don't work with blood," I say.

"I can train to be a med-jack," Lily says.

"Okay, you can go over to The Homestead and find a guy named Clint. Kayla, you can go over to the crops and help Zart," Alby says.

"Fine," I say. Lily and I head to where we were supposed to go.

Working in the...fields weren't so bad. It was an easy job but wasn't very fun. Like everything else about this place. I was finally done when the sky started to get dark. The runners have just got back from The Maze, I found a couple things out from Zart. All of the sudden a loud screeching sound started. The doors started closing out of no where. The doors were almost shut when someone slips through the gap. Less than five seconds later, a scream rang through the air. I sprinted toward the doors as three people ran out of The Homestead towards the boy.

When I got to him, I could see it was Newt. The people, who I'm guessing were med-jacks, were trying to figure out how to get his foot out. His foot, or ankle, was stuck between the spikes and opening.

"Don't pull it out! Lift it up then pull it out," I say. For once, someone actual listens to me and his foot is out of the door. Newt is still screaming when they release his foot.