Chapter 27 Kayla's POV

I walk up to the front of the box with Newt beside me. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see him glance at me every few seconds.

"You're not mad, are you?" he asks.

"No, well a little bit. I guess it really doesn't matter. People are slintheads anyways," I laugh.

"True Glader," Newt replies.

"Please let this greenie not be a girl," I hear Alby mutter.

"There's nothing wrong with us," I say defensively.

"Oh, you heard that. No offense but the Glade has enough girls in it," Alby says.

"I wouldn't be disappointed if it brought up a girl to fall in love with me," Felix says.

"In your dreams," Candy says.

"Trust me, it is," Felix replies. He sure is one creepy Glader.

"Can I scare the greenie?" I ask Alby.

"Don't you think they would be scared enough?" Alby says.

"You're joking?" I say.

"Kayla, the greenies ain't all like you two. Especially you, dear snappy one," Newt says to me.

"Snappy or not," I laugh. "I still wanna scare him or her."

"Fine but do not scare them too much. We don't want a mess," Alby says. I don't get what he means until a few seconds later and then I laugh.

"I won't. At least I think," I say acting puzzled.

"Careful there. You can be extremely creepy," Candy says and laughs.

"And you're confusing," I reply.

Just then the beeping stops and the box opens. Gally and Alby move up to open the grates. Alby nods and I jump down into the box. The boy is pressed up against the side of the box trying to scoot away. He is sweating and looks scared.

"Welcome to your death, greenie," I say. His face goes pale.

"C'mon Kayla. Bring the guy up," I hear someone call.

"W-where am I?" the boy stutters.

"Well c'mon. We'll show you," I say and climb out of the box. I tilt my head once I get to the top. "Coming or not?"

He slowly walks to where I am hanging from the side and stands there. I look up and Newt has his hand stretched toward me. I grab it and pull myself up.

"That's the funnest thing to do here," I laugh.

"Scare someone?" he says while people pull the greenie out of the box.

"No, climbing the cage," I say.

"The cage?" he asks.

"Miswell be," I say and he chuckles.

Once the greenie is pulled to the top and is able to stand up right, he burst into a sprint. It only takes me a couple of seconds to sprint after him. I can hear the other boys laugh and howl. Such dogs. I hear Zart say "We have a runner". Once I'm close enough to him, I jump and tackle him to the ground. He struggles to get up but I have a hold of his arms.

"What's the matter, greenie? Afraid you're really gonna die?" I say in my creepy voice. This makes him thrash around even more. I laugh. "Oh, calm down. Nothing is going to happen to you. Well, unless you wanted to make a break for the Maze. That's where you find trouble."

"Where am I?" he says while trying to throw me off of him. If he knew better, he'd stop.

"Calm down now or things will get ugly," I say in a menacing voice. By now, people are walking toward us. The greenie stops struggling. "Good. You are in the Glade. This is your new home but there are rules. Trust me, those do not have a pretty punishment. What's your name?"

"Thomas," he mutters.

"Thomas, I'm going to let you go. If you start running again, I'll pull a knife to your throat. Just kidding, but you will be put in the slammer, got that?" I say. He nods. "Good that."

I let him go just as Newt walks up to me.

"I think you made him klunk his pants," he laughs.

"That was really funny," Candy says as she walks over.

"Why thank you," I say and curtsy. "Well you two, this is Thomas," I say and grab him by his sleeve.

"Well, you coulda been a runner. Until Kayla tackled ya," Newt says.

"Almost no one can outrun her. Except for Minho," Candy laughs.

"I'm working on it," I laugh.

"Who are you?" Thomas asks.

"Oh right. I'm Kayla and this is Newt and Candy," I say and each of them waves.

"This new greenie sure is ugly," Frypan says. Everyone who is in hearing range laughs.

"Someone find Chuck. Or could the girls give him the tour?" Alby asks.

"Kayla and I can give him the tour," Candy says and elbows me when I start to scowl.

"Yeah," I say and turn back toward Newt. He was talking to Thomas. "What are you two doing?"

"Nothing," Newt says. "I'll see you guys later. Alby and I have to talk about something."

"Okay. See you later," I say and he gives me a hug before he walks over to Alby.

"Oh, Minho should be back soon," Candy says.

"Start with the Maze doors?" I ask. I know she hates being apart from Minho. She nods. "Okay, Thomas follow us."

When we get to the Maze doors, we start explaining what's out there.

"These walls are to protect us from the creatures out there that roam at night. No one is allowed to go beyond those walls except runners," Candy explains. I notice as Candy was talking, Thomas kept getting closer and closer to the door.

"Hey greenie, take a step back. You are not allowed out there," I say.

"No I won't. I just want to look," he says and waves me off. I roll my eyes. Boys be acting like they own the place and this one just got here.

Just then, Minho runs through the doors.

"Hey baby. New greenie?" he says.

"Yep. Minho this is Thomas," Candy says. Minho nods.

"Thomas, Minho is the keeper of the runners. Since no one knows formal introductions," I say and roll my eyes.

"Yeah 'cause I'm sure you told him what you do," Minho says.

"I'm a cook but I'm training to be a runner. Almost faster than you, Minnie," I say and stick my tongue out.

"What's a runner?" Thomas asks.

"We explore the Maze trying to find a way out," Minho says. "Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to take my girlfriend on a walk." Him and Candy walk away. Great, stuck with the greenie.

"What the shuck are you doing? Get away from the doors," I yell at him when I turn around. He stopped and looked back at me. That gave just enough time for the doors to start closing. He jumped back in surprise. "Told you. Listen to the girl. Now c'mon, let me show you the rest of the Glade."

Author's Note: I finished this chapter last night so sorry if it's weird XD I was a little tired. I'm hoping to introduce new characters throughout the next chapters. Is 60 chapters good? Then we are going to continue it into the scorch in a couple months. Comment? ~MaKayla ^.^