Chapter 9 Kayla's POV

I feel the blanket slip away. "HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" I scream and they stumble backwards. That's what they get for trying to steal my blanket. I look closer at the dude and see it's Alby.

"I'm sorry that's the only known thing to wake you up," he says and walks back to his bed. There are about five people awake out of the ten. One of the people still asleep is Minho. I think he deserves payback for scaring everyone.
I tiptoe over to his bed and dunk so he can't see me. I reach up and grab his arm. He wakes up with a jump and a little scream. I laugh and blow my cover.

"What the heck was that for?" he yells at me.

It takes me about a full minute just to respond. "You scare the daylights out of everyone else. That was just payback," I say while standing up and going back over to my bed. Candy was up and was bright red from laughing.

"Oh, karma isn't very fun, now is she?" Candy says during a break of laughter.

"I'm starting to think the only thing scarier than Kayla is karma. No, Kayla's scarier," Minho says while laughing.

"She ain't vicious. That's why," I say.

"That and karma only comes around once unlike Kayla. She's kinda here to stay," Candy laughs.

"Okay, you three. Today is a break for everyone so you guys can do whatever you want. But Kayla, don't attack anyone," Alby says and walks out of the room.

"Wow, beat up one guy and get known for it," I say. "I'm hungry."

"Then let's go eat," Minho says and runs out of the room.

"What got into him?" Candy asks.

"I have no idea," I giggle and walk out behind Candy.

"You do notice you're barefoot, right?" she says.

"Huh? Oh, I know. I need a break from shoes," I say.

"It's been like three days and you already need a break?" she giggles.

"Maybe," I laugh.

"C'mon. You girls are slow," Minho whines.

"I bet I could beat you there if I wanted to," I say. "And don't even say you doubt that. You seen what happened the last time someone said that to me."

"Yeah, he got a big bruise on his cheek," Candy says. Minho rolls his eyes and runs toward the kitchen.
Frypan was still mad at me for eating the food out of the oven yesterday.

"You can't hold a grudge forever, you know? Besides it was a bite," I say.

"Yeah, of the whole darn tray," Frypan says.

"I was hungry. It looked really good," I say and Frypan shakes his head and smiles.

"I'll just take that as a compliment," he says and hands me a plate stacked with pancakes and bacon.

"Mmm, pancakes," I hear Candy say.

"Is that the only good part to you?" Minho says as we walk toward a tree.

"I already told you. I don't like bacon," she says.

We ate in silence for the most part. Before everyone else was done eating, I snuck around the tree. I grabbed the piece of bacon out of Minho's hand and run back to my spot.

"Hey, give it back," he yells at me and tries to reach for it.

"No," I say and stuff it in my mouth.

"You're mean," Minho says and pouts.

"No, I'm Kayla," I laugh and Candy shakes her head.

"You two can't go one day without fighting," she says.

Me and Minho look at each other. "Nope," we say at the same time. Candy laughs and shakes her head.

"I should've known better," Candy says.
Minho puts his arm around Candy.

"You really should have, sweetheart," he says. I can't help but laugh at the look on Candy's face as she pushes him away from her.

"Awe. Minho got rejected," I say and continue laughing. My chest hurts from laughing so hard and it's getting hard to breathe evenly.

"Yeah, don't do that again," Candy says and scoots closer to me.

"I'm not making any promises," Minho says.

"Of course you aren't," Candy mutters.

"Why make a promise if ya know he ain't gonna keep it," I say.

"Exactly," Minho says and stands up. "I'm gonna go take my plate back to Frypan."

"Can you take mine?" me and Candy ask at the same time and laugh.

"No, you two have your own pair of legs," he says and walks away.

I groan and stand up. I pull Candy to her feet and we walk back to the kitchen. Minho is just walking out when we get there.

"So what do you guys wanna do today?" he asks.

"Why are you following us?" I ask and Candy laughs.

"Why do you ask so many questions?" Minho asks.

"Because we're girls," Candy replies.

"Anyways, why don't we visit Newt? He has to be lonely."

"Works for me," I say.

"We'll see how well that goes. Ya know he has a bloody headache," Minho says and laughs. Wow, he's something else.

"Ya know, it wouldn't be a problem if you didn't talk so loud," Candy says to him as we hand our plates to Frypan.

"There isn't a chance I could have another piece of bacon is there?" I ask Frypan.

"Nope. I think you need to cut back on the food," Frypan says.

"ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?" I ask sort of jokingly.

"No but by the time you're full, the kitchen will be empty," he says.

"True," I laugh and we walk out. "We need to ask someone for more food."

"Well, why don't you ask for it?" Minho says.

"Now how am I gonna do that?" I ask.

"Put your request in the box. If you're lucky, they'll answer your request," he says.

"That's weird," Candy says.