Chapter 12 - Surprise

Jac walks into Emma's bedroom, and opens the curtains "Wakey wakey, sleepyhead."

"Ugh, mummy do I have to?" Emma says, slowly opening her eyes.

"We're on holiday, you're supposed to be excited." Jac says, picking some of Emma's toys up off the floor.

"Can I ring daddy?" Emma asks, sitting up.

"Later, okay?" Jac says, walking downstairs

"Is she okay?" Kian asks emerging from the kitchen, with doughnuts.

"Yeah, just moaning that she can't call Jonny at the moment." She says, taking a doughnut off him.

"Hey!" He says, protectively putting the rest of his doughnuts down "They're mine."

"I'm the one eating for two, here." She says, biting into the doughnut.

"No need to remind me." He smiles, hugging her.

"I missed you, when I left with Clayton." Jac sighs, "I thought about you when I woke up, and everything."

"That's just the perks of, being in a relationship with me." He winks, "Now you are, I don't have to leave your mind."

"Oh stop it." She says, slapping him playfully.

Emma comes running downstairs "Mummy, can we go on a walk in the forest?"

"Yeah, we could?" Jac says, looking at Kian "What do you, think?"

"Sure." Kian smiles, grabbing Jac's coat for her and then helping Emma put hers on.

Jac watches him help Emma, and smiles - where did she get so lucky in life, to find this man?

As Jac walks outside, Kian bends down next to Emma.

"Em, I have two surprises for your mummy." Kian smiles, looking at her "Can, you help me?"

"What are the surprises?" Emma asks, looking around.

He whispers in Emma's ear, and she smiles "Okay."

"Right, let's go." Kian says, as he puts his arm through Jac's and Emma takes Jac's hand.

They reach the start of the forest, and Jac gives Emma her phone "Right Emma, you can ring daddy now but not for long."

"Thanks mummy." Emma smiles, as Jac rings Jonny's number and passes it back to Emma.

"Daddy!" Emma says, as Jonny picks up.

"Hey, Emma."

"Daddy, Kian is doing something big for mummy." Emma says, out of earshot of Jac.

"What is he doing?"

"I can't say, he swore me to secrecy."

"So, how are you enjoying your holiday?" Jonny asks.

"Good, mummy says she's taking us to a water park near by soon." Emma says, beaming "And that we're going camping."

"Don't get eaten by bears or bugs."

"I won't, Kian will protect us."

"And mummy, will be having little sibling soon."

"What was that?" Jonny asks, surprised.

"Sorry daddy I have to go, bye!" Emma says hanging up, and running back over to Jac and Kian.

Emma passes Jac the phone back "Mummy, when are we going to tell uncle Sacha about the baby?"

"When we get home, Emma." Jac smiles, putting her phone in her pocket.

"Look over there!" Kian says, pointing into the distance "A fox."

"Wow!" Emma says, running closer to Kian.

"Are there any bears out here?" Emma asks, a bit scared.

"No Emma, bears don't live out here." Kian laughs, "Who gave you that idea?"

"Daddy." Emma replies, putting her hands in her pockets.

"Well I can assure you, that there are absolu-." He tries to say, before Jac cuts him off.

"Are you sure about that?" Jac questions him, pointing to the left side of the trees.

"Right, if we move very slowly." Kian starts "It won't see us."

"You just said there wasn't any bears!" Emma says running off, upset.

"Emma!" Jac shouts, starting to run after her.

"Jac stop!" Kian says quietly, "What did I just say?!"

"I don't care about your stupid rules, let the bear chase us if need be." Jac says, looking at him "My seven year old daughter just ran off, by herself either you come with me or I do this by myself."

"Okay, okay." He says, as they run off to find Emma together.

"It's all good, I don't think the bear saw us." Kian says, looking around "Emma!" They both shout, looking for her.

"Why does she need to do this?" Jac sighs, rubbing her head tiredly.

"Hey, are you okay?" Kian asks, getting concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She smiles "The baby is just making me tired."

"Okay, well you should really sit down." Kian says, trying to help her sit.

Jac pushes him away "I'm not sitting, while my daughter is missing!"

"Mummy!" Emma shouts, as she runs back.

Jac rushes up to her and hugs her, "Don't you ever do that again!"

Jac says pulling away from the hug and holding Emma's face "Do you understand?"

Emma nods and Jac hugs her again "You really, scared mummy."

"I'm sorry." Emma says, as Jac takes her hand "Right from now, don't let go of my hand."

"Okay, mummy." Emma says, wiping some tears from her face.

Eventually after half an hour, they reach a beautiful lake side view.

"Wow, this place is beautiful." Jac says, smiling at Kian.

Jac turns away, and Emma walks over to Kian.

Jac stares out over the lake and smiles again "How on earth did you even find this place?"

She turns around to see Kian on one knee, "I love everything about you, you're stubborn, annoying, all the things Jac Naylor should be, you are an amazing mother and amazing partner." He smiles "So Jac Naylor, will you marry me?"

"Are you stupid or something?" She says, as she pauses and sighs.

"Oh...um." Kian says, looking down "I'll take it back."

"You daft idiot, of course I will!" She says,
as he puts the ring on her finger and picks her up swinging her around.

They laugh before Jac says "What have I told you about that?"

"Oh yeah, sorry." He says, putting her back down.

Emma walks up to Jac with a card, and some pieces of paper.

Jac looks at them and smiles, on the card is a drawing Emma did of Jac, Kian, herself and the baby as a family.

And then she reads the papers "Oh my God."

"You didn't tell me." She smiles, at him.

"Yeah, well I wanted it to be a surprise." He says, smiling back.

"The adoption came through last minute, and I wanted Emma to play a part in this."

Jac bends down to Emma's level and hugs her "Thank you." She says to both of them.

"I love you, both of you." Jac smiles, leaning into Kian's shoulder.

"I love our family too."