Chapter 71 - I Wouldn't Do That

The moment he walks back through the door, she's walking down those stairs at such a speed he can't react.

"Where have you been?!" She asks, slamming her hand down on the table.

"Uh, nowhere." He replies, sitting and keeping his head down.

"The kids were sick, and you were nowhere to be seen!" Jac says, refusing to look at him.

"I'm sorry, I got drunk and..."

"You know what? I don't want to hear it!" She walks into the kitchen, and starts to make herself a coffee.

"Jac, I'm sorry I should've been here..." He walks behind her, and wraps his arms around her waist gently.

She pulls herself away, and glares at him "So you were too busy getting drunk, to help me look after our kids?!"

"Yeah...I uh."

"You haven't been home all night, clearly someone must've taken you to their home or something." Jac says, picking up the coffee cup and drinking it.

"Uh, yeah a mate that's all." Kian smiles gently, and then looks at the floor.

"Just don't do it again." She says, sitting down on the sofa clearly tired.

"You okay?" He asks, sitting next to her.

"I'm fine, just had to stay up half the night with Harriet and Noah."

"What, why?" He asks, cocking his head in confusion.

"They were sick, remember?!"

"Yeah..." He smiles.

"And if I ever find out that when you got drunk, you slept with someone. Let's just say it won't end well for you."

"I wouldn't do that to you Jac, not again." Kian gently strokes her hair.

She smiles, and gently rests her head on him.

Six weeks later...

"McKendrick!" Jac shouts emerging from the office, holding some patient files.

"Uh, yeah I'm coming!" Nicky says as she runs from the bathroom.

"Hmm, what's wrong with you?" Jac asks, looking at her head.

"Sorry?" Nicky asks, looking at Jac extremely confused.

"Your pale, you aren't trying to die on me again are you?" She says, sitting at the nurses station.

Nicky laughs lightly "No, maybe just a bug or something."

"You shouldn't be here if it's a bug, and you know that." Jac replies, flipping through some files and writing on the computer.

"Yeah...I know." Nicky says, scraping her foot on the floor.

Kian then walks onto the Ward, the moment him and Nicky make eye contact.

Flashbacks happen, to that night...

Jac notices the tension in the room and stands up, "Okay if someone doesn't tell me, what's going on right now.."

"Uh, can we talk privately?" Nicky asks, turning to her.

"McKendrick..." Kian says, his tone not so soft.

"Mhm, sure." Jac smiles, and walks into the office with her.

Surely Nicky wasn't going to tell her, right....?

"Yes McKendrick, what is it?" She asks, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Uh...it's not a bug." Nicky replies, sitting herself down on the sofa.

"So what is it?"

"I'm pregnant." Nicky smiles, looking up at Jac.

"You? pregnant? Good joke!" Jac starts to laugh, before realising she's being totally serious.

"Oh...you're being serious."

"Yeah I am." She replies, gently standing up.

"So the father..is he on the scene?" Jac asks, cocking her head.

"Ah, I'm hoping he will be. He doesn't know yet."

"You should tell him, you really should." Jac says, looking up at her.

"But he's married and has kids."

"Oh..."

"I should go, thank you though." Nicky leaves, and finds Kian standing by the nurses station.

"Kian, we need to talk right now." She says, dragging him into the locker room and slamming the door shut.

"Nicky, no! That was a one time drink thing!" Kian says, trying to remove himself from this weird situation.

"It's not that..I just having something to tell you." She sighs, thinking on how to tell him.

"Tell me and what?" Kian asks, confused but intrigued.

What they had not realised was that, a certain redhead is standing outside and listening in on their conversation...

"I'm pregnant!" Nicky smiles, sounding extremely happy.

"Oh uh, congratulations." He smiles and hugs her, "So who's the lucky man?"

"You are." She replies, going to kiss him again.

Jac can't stand much more of this, so that's where he was?

With McKendrick? He spent the night with her?!

She heads back to the office and starts to cry, her emotions all over the place.

Kian walks in after his little argument he had with Nicky, "You okay?" He asks clearly seeing her tears.

"I don't want to talk to you, right now." She says, turning away from him and wiping her tears.

"What, why?" He asks, confused.

"You really need to know why?" She scoffs, looking at the floor.

"Yeah..I do."

"Because instead of being at home looking after our sick kids, you decided to go get drunk and have fun with McKendrick." She then slams her hands on her desk, "Is that a good enough reason, or should I add that you got her pregnant?!"

"Jac..I-." He starts to say, before she instantly interrupts him "Save it! I don't want to hear it."

"Okay look I'm sorry, but so much has been going on recently with the babies and you..." He then realises what he said, and quietens himself down.

"So it's my fault? And my children's fault?" She asks, glaring at him. Her expression eerie "Thanks for letting me know how you feel, about me and about our kids."

"Jac..I didn't mean it. I got drunk that's all." He says, trying to fix this mess "She meant nothing."

"It's not even that, that I'm mad about. You went and got drunk when I needed you! When the kids needed you!" She rubs her head in distress, "I can't handle this right now, I need to go."

"Jac I'm sorry! I love you!" He says, pulling her into a hug.

She looks at the ground and thinks for a second, "This better not happen again, I mean it okay?"

He smiles, and kisses the top of her head.

It was all okay..

For now...