Chapter 23 - Exhausted

Jac runs into the hospital's reception "Help!" She shouts, still holding the limp baby in her arms.

Sacha rushes over, as he is working the late shift "Jac, what's the matter?"

"It's Harriet, she's limp and she's vomited." Jac says "She's also got bruises."

"Right, we need to take her down to paediatrics, okay?" He says, as he takes Harriet from her and they run down.

Three hours later...

Jac is sitting next to the crib, Harriet is being kept in.

Kian walks in "Hey, how is she?"

Jac turns to look at him, she's clearly been crying and is exhausted "Uh she's good now, they had to do CPR though."

"Oh God." Kian sighs.

"I just want to know, what's wrong with her." Jac says, as she starts to cry.

Kian walks up to her and hugs her, "It's okay, we'll keep her safe."

"I'm just going to get you some bits, okay?" He says.

"Yeah, get her some stuff too."

"Okay." He says, as he leaves the room.

He walks into the hospital's car park, and gets into his car - for a second he considers driving away, and not looking back.

But he drives home, and collects some stuff and gets back into his car.

By the time he comes back, Jac is having a fight with one of Harriet's doctors.

"Woah, what's going on here?" He asks, holding a bag.

"He won't let me in, to see my own daughter." Jac says, crossing her arms.

"We are doing important things, Miss Naylor." The doctor replies, putting his glasses on.

"Yes I know!" Jac shouts "I'm a doctor too! And I'm her mother!"

"Miss Naylor, please calm down." The doctor replies.

"Let me see my daughter, and I will." She replies, trying to resist  raising her fist to him.

"Look you can see her later, okay?" The doctor replies, walking back into the room.

Jac sits down on one of the chairs outside, and sighs "What have I done wrong?"

"Nothing." Kian says, trying to reassure her.

She notices the doctor and nurses that walk in and out of Harriet's room, are giving her cold glares.

Eventually she's had enough of the glaring, and when one nurse steps out she confronts her.

"What is it?" Jac asks, sounding increasingly angry.

"Jac, no." Kian replies, "Calm down."

"No! What have I done wrong?" She asks, "What is all this staring?"

"We are doing checks on your baby, the doctor will come and talk to you later." The nurse says, walking away.

Jac has had enough, and she barges into the room.

"What's going on?!" She asks, sounding paranoid.

"Miss Naylor, you can't be in here!" A nurse says, trying to get her out.