Chapter 71: The Party (Part 2)

------Author's Note------

Hey guys!

I realized that I missed the one year anniversary of me publishing this book (by about a month, whoops)! It's hard to believe that February 25, 2020 was over a year ago. I'm so grateful for all the people who have supported me along the way. Especially the people who found me when I was a nobody (you know who you are). It took so many chapters with only 5 reads, probably most of them from me looking for typos, until I started seeing views tick up. It's insane to think I have over 200k reads right now. I'm beyond grateful for each and every one of you.

It only makes sense that this be the chapter I'm mentioning this in, considering this was one of my first ideas when the story came to mind. I knew that whatever I wrote had to get me to this point. It's without a doubt one of the chapters I've anticipated the most. I really can't wait for you all to read it.

Also, sorry I picked like one of the longest songs I could've, but I really do love this song and I can just see people sitting around a campfire and singing it. I definitely recommend listening to it.

Stay lovely ❤️

And enjoy!

•°•°•°•

Koto's POV
(Friday the 26th)

When we get to the party, it's been dark for a few hours already. The house is in a nicer neighborhood, large houses lining either side of the street. We park a couple blocks away, the curbs already packed with cars, and walk to the house with music blasting. People stand around outside, talking and drinking from plastic cups. 

How basic, I think as we cross the large front lawn and head inside. I would say the sound is what hits me first, but it's actually the smell. It's like one of Mic's parties, yet somehow worse. 

Sweaty teenage bodies mingle with every type of cheap alcohol on their breaths. I catch whiffs of smoke in the air as Kati and Macy pull me through the dancing crowd and into the kitchen. 

Drinks of all kinds litter the marble countertops and a group of college aged guys play beer pong on the dining room table in the next room over. 

My friends pour themselves some jungle juice, but I mix my own drink in a red solo cup. A couple other girls come up to them, pulling them into the mass of dancing teenagers. Kati extends her hand to me, but I wave her off, already feeling a little overwhelmed. 

I stay in the kitchen for a while, supervising the game of beer pong, before the guys start to notice me watching. I head outside before any of them can talk to me. I nurse my drink as I watch all the people who've decided to be outside. 

Teenagers laugh and splash around in the large pool, illuminated in the dark, while a couple makes out in the hot tub, others doing the same on lawn chairs or in the flower garden. A group sits on the patio, smoking and laughing with each other. 

I walk past all of them to the back of the yard where a fire pit is already roaring with a tall flame. A small group sits around the fire, which is probably too close to the tree line to be safe, but I don't mention that. 

A guy in a white t-shirt and jeans sits on a lawn chair, strumming an acoustic guitar and humming. His eyes go from his fingers to the fire and then he just keeps them close, completely feeling the music and drowning out everything else. His calm features draw me towards the group. 

I sit on the ground to his left. I examine how the fire illuminates his dusty brown hair and sharpens his facial features, but soon lose myself to the music as well, instead opting to watch the fire. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the rest of the group staring at me, confused.