Chapter 30: Hosu

The next day, we're eating dinner when Nyikang comes rushing back into the room, his helmet on lopsided. 

"Suit up," his voice is bold and commanding. Shinso and I stand abruptly from the table. "There's an ongoing terrorist attack in Hosu. It will probably be over by the time we get there, but we can at least help with the rescue efforts. Hurry up!"

I bolt out of the kitchen, running to my room. The footsteps behind me indicate Shinso is following suit. I put on my costume the fastest I ever have. It's still a little sweaty from our patrol earlier today, but I ignore that and throw it on. Throwing my conductor's coat over my shoulder and grabbing my mask, I exit my room. 

I notice Shinso's door is open. At the sound of my footsteps, he pokes his touseled purple head out with one eye covered in black makeup. "Help, please?" He quickly asks before retreating back into the room. 

I run in and tie his hair back while he does his other eye in the mirror. "You really gotta learn to do this yourself," I illuse, putting on my own mask in the mirror. 

"It's not my fault that hair ties hate me. I don't know how you do it. Whenever I try to do it, it never holds," he says exasperated as he closes the makeup container and pulls up his mask to cover the lower half of his face. 

"Lots and lots of practice," I respond as we run out to meet Nyikang. 

"At least the eyes are easy enough to do by myself."

"It's lopsided, you know that, right?"

"What?"

I pat him on the shoulder. "I'll fix it on the way."

We run with Nyikang to the station, meeting up with his other sidekicks on the way. I now really regret not learning their names. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Earlier today, we had gotten split up while taking down some bank robbers, so Nyikang had insisted we keep our phones on us at all times on patrol. I'm so glad I forgot to take it out because if I didn't have it and we got separated while dealing with a terrorist attack, I'm sure he would be pretty angry. 

As soon as we board the train to Hosu, Nyikang gathers us all in a circle to go over a game plan. Shinso and I are not allowed to fight unless we are truly backed into a corner and about to die. Otherwise, we're working on rescue and evacuation. 

He begins speaking with his sidekicks about the intel they received from other heroes on the scene. Apparently there are a bunch of nomus rampaging through the streets and the skies. 

What? Flying nomus? And not just one...multiple. 

"We do not have a lot of information on the creatures or how they fight, but they're taking down heroes easily, so be on alert."

I step into the circle. Immediately, all eyes turn to me, but I push down my embarrassment to illuse, "All Might fought one of those things at the USJ. I was there when it happened. It was matching him punch for punch and could regenerate any limbs that were cut off. It didn't seem to have a sense of self-preservation, so it continued to attack no matter how hurt it was. They also only listen to their master, whoever that is. Last time, it listened to Shigaraki, but without instruction, it did nothing."

The heroes are silent for a moment before discussing the information I just told them, coming up with new battle strategies. I remain standing frozen in place, still feeling all their eyes on me even though they are focused now on Nyikang. 

I feel a hand on my shoulder pull me back. "Hey," Shinso whispers, shaking me to get me to look at him. "That was good what you did. They're going to be able to do a lot with that information. Just take a deep breath or something. Jeez, calm down."