Chapter 73: Peonies

------Author's Note------
Hey guys!

This chapter banner was made by the amazing lovelyavvz thank you so much!! She's so pretty 😍 and the shading is done really nicely.

Koto's POV
(Saturday the 27th)

After cleaning myself up, I lay on the couch in the basement, nursing my water, before I drift back off to sleep. By the time I wake up again, the sun has fully risen. The light feels like a stab to my eyeballs. I groan, squeezing my eyes shut, and try to roll over, but at the same time, I don't really want to move. 

I hear somebody snickering, so I open my eyes to see Jupiter and his deep green eyes that seem more blue in the light. He grins and offers me a refilled glass of water. 

I struggle to pull myself up. I'm about to rub my eyes to try and get them to stop aching, but then I realize why they feel like a desert. I heave myself off the couch and into the bathroom, staring at my eyes. The whites have been shot through with red and feel extremely itchy. 

The winged boy follows me in. "What's wrong?" He asks, taking a bite of bacon that he's holding for whatever reason. All I know is that the smell is nauseating. 

I just reach up to my eye and hold it open while taking the green contact out. He winces and I blink quickly, trying to moisten the surface of my eye. 

"Oof," he says, opening the cabinet under the sink. He pulls out a little white bottle and sets it down in front of me. "I have contact solution if you need it.

I pull the case out of my pocket and put the lenses away after cleaning them. 

Jupiter ruffles my hair from behind. "Don't hurt yourself, snowflake. C'mon, let's get some food in ya."

Food sounds less than appetizing right now, but I'm in no position to argue, so I follow him up to the kitchen where the smell is agonizingly pungent. Don't get me wrong, I usually like bacon and eggs, but right now, it makes me want to vomit again. I sit at the kitchen island and absentmindedly pick at the food he puts in front of me. 

"Now why did you leave?" He cuts right to the chase. "You said it's a long story. Gimme the shortened version."

I stumble through telling him about the attack and that I just wanted to get away, so I came back to where I grew up. He looks pensive, crunching on more bacon and swiping crumbs off the counter. 

"If you're a student at UA, then why didn't I see you at the sports festival?"

"You were th-there?" I ask, surprised. 

"Nah, I just mean I watched on TV. Are you a transfer or something? Cause I recorded and watched all three levels."

"N-no, I just dyed my h-hair," I say, pulling at the strands that are already starting to curl again. "With Kati and Macy."

He smiles to himself for a moment before noticing my gaze. "I lost a bet last year. Had to dye my hair pink. Macy did it for me. She's chill."

I nod in agreement, once again feeling that guilt of not being there for her over all the years. 

"So, you got a hero name, Elsa?

"Maestro," I say. "And...m-my name isn't Elsa."

"Well, I figured."

I fix him with a questioning look. "Did you m-memorize the whole roster or something?"