Chapter 43: Class 1-A Shopping Trip

The day after the exams, we head back to school for an update of our summer vacation. It's an odd, but welcome change to find the midget's seat empty. Toru sits atop it, chatting with Momo. 

"I could get used to this," she sighs. 

No sooner has she said that than Iida is rushing up to her, making chopping motions and yelling at her to get down. Of course it's easier to listen to Iida than ignore him, so she returns to the floor. 

Sato, Kaminari, Eijiro, and Mina are crowded together, a shadow covering their faces. According to our teacher's threat, because they failed the practical final, they won't be going on the camping trip. I'm positive I failed my written finals, so I'm certain I'll face the same fate. 

The door is yanked open to reveal our teacher on the other side and so we all run for our seats. "Once the bell rings, you should be in your seats," his tired voice says as he looks at the silent classroom. "Morning. Unfortunately, there are a few of you who didn't pass your final exams. So when it comes to the training camp in the woods…" Aizawa reveals that terrible grin of his and I know something bad is coming. I failed. And I'll be sentenced to summer school hell! "...everyone is going!"

The four who had failed the practical jump out of their seats, cheering. I perk up at this as well, smiling with the rest of the class.

"We really get to go to camp?" Eijiro exclaims. 

"Seriously?" Mina squeaks, tears of joy in her eyes. 

"Yeah," our teacher confirms, his usual bored expression back in place. "The good news is that no one bombed the written exam."

I let out a breath of air I didn't even realize I was holding and let my head fall to my desk with a resounding thud. Tears of relief threaten to fall, but I hold them back. Koda reaches over his desk to rub my shoulder when I sit back up. 

"Five failed the practical," Aizawa continues. "Badly. Two teams of course and then Sero failed as well."

We all look over to the poor boy as his eyes seem to pop out of his head. "Agh, crap. I knew it. Mineta made it to the gate, but I didn't do near enough to pass. He's not even in the class anymore and he passed!"

"Allow me to explain. For the practical battles, the teachers made sure to leave a way for the students to win. Otherwise, you never would've stood a chance. We were interested in observing how you each worked together and approached the task at hand."

"But didn't you promise that the teachers wouldn't be holding back?" Ojiro points out, his tail bristling. 

"That was just to get you on edge. Besides, the training camp will focus on building your strength. Those who failed need those lessons the most. We were never going to separate you." Another creepy smile cuts across our teacher's face. "That was just a logical deception we used."

Iida shoots out of his chair next to me, practically shocking me out of my skin. "Mr. Aizawa, this is the second time you've lied to us! Aren't you afraid we'll lose faith in you?"

Ochaco leans over to address the boy, "uhh, a little blunt there, Tenya."

"That's a good point," Mr. Aizawa replies. "I'll consider it. But I wasn't lying to you about everything. Failure is failure."

My skin crawls at the look he's sending the celebrating students. "We've prepared extra lessons for the five of you." They immediately deflate, sitting back down sadly. "Frankly, they're far tougher than what you'd face at summer school. Now, Aoyama will pass out these guides. They will tell you everything you need to have prepared before the trip."