Chapter 86: The Recital - Part 1

Koto's POV

As school commences as usual, homework begins to accumulate. Where some of my friends like Ochaco and Eijiro were offered work study opportunities and Bakugo has to attend supplementary lessons with Todoroki, I'm left with the ever-looming recital date.

The day before my performance, I collapse on the couch in the common area of the 1-A Alliance. My schedule has been relentless: attending classes, going to the studio, returning to the dorms to do my homework late into the night, and getting minimal sleep before repeating the process. As much as I love ballet, I'll be glad to have some extra breathing room when it's all over.

I close my eyes to get a quick five minute nap, but my best friend's voice calls me back to the living world.

"Koto?" Ochaco asks sheepishly.

I sit up and make a sound of recognition as I rub the fatigue from my eyes. Apprehensiveness is clear on her face and Eijiro's who stands behind her.

"We sorta can't make it tomorrow," she says, seeming to retreat into herself.

"Wh-what?"

Aizawa had allowed me to go to the recital tomorrow as long as I brought at least one other person with me since it's dangerous for us to leave campus by ourselves. I of course asked my two friends to join me, but now they can't make it?

"It's our work studies," Ei explains earnestly. "We got our schedules in and they both have us working then. We're really sorry."

I'm disappointed, but I nod anyway. "I get it," I mumble, picking up my bag so I can go take a shower and begin my homework.

•°•°•°•

"What do you mean, 'no'?!?!" I exclaim to my homeroom teacher Saturday morning.

He groans and places a hand to his forehead. "It's not safe for you to go without accompaniment."

"Th-then I'll choose someone else! Mina!" The pinkette perks up, but Aizawa waves her off.

"As far as I know, Ashido still hasn't finished her project." The girl in question sinks down in her seat at the table and goes back to dejectedly taking notes. "Many of your classmates have a tendency to procrastinate."

I'm of course aware of the project in question. A giant research paper for history we were told about at the beginning of the semester. Because I had asked Aizawa about my recital so early, I knew to pay attention to what was due around the same time and make sure it was done beforehand. I turned it in about a week ago, but my classmates don't seem to be forward thinkers.

"Then what ab-bout Iida?"

"He's away for the weekend to visit his brother," Midoriya chirps.

"Momo?"

"With family somewhere," Tsu says, shrugging.

"And you're t-telling me that none of you are done yet?"

"Wow, harsh," Toru mumbles.

"I'm sorry, but you know wh-what I meant."

"To be fair, there's been a lot of other stuff going on," Kaminari says through a mouthful of food. "It's not like we're rolling in free time."

I sigh heavily, looking at Aizawa with the biggest puppy dog eyes I can muster. "Please, is there anyone who finished their project early?"

"Bakugo did," the man responds and my face begins to break out into a grin before he shoots down my last hope. "But he's out of the question."

"Why?" I ask, not only confused, but also mad. "He doesn't have his supplemental lessons on Saturdays!"

"He's not a licensed hero yet. If something were to happen, he wouldn't be able to fight."