Chapter 1: Koto Yamada - Origin

------Author's Note------
There are various different languages used in this story, so Japanese dialogue is in regular text, English dialogue is in italics (as well as thoughts), and sign language is in bold and italics. It should be easy to follow while reading.

I tried my hand at making an aesthetic board for our main character, Koto Yamada.

Please don't comment any spoilers or I'll delete your message!! Thank you

Now onto the story...

•°•°•°•

It was a lovely spring day in Japan when my parents first met. My mother had traveled from her university in America to intern at a journalism agency in Japan. With the country practically being the hero hub of the whole world, it was teeming with unwritten stories of the many heroes that brought the people peace. She had spent most of her life learning Japanese to get where she was and it certainly wasn't a waste. At that point, she was basically fluent. 

Her and my father were both interning at the same company and had sat at the same picnic table that day for lunch. They got stuck across from each other and, neither knowing anyone else, were forced into conversation. She wasn't fond of him at first, in fact, she thought he was a bit loud and rowdy. That was until she realized he was the twin brother of Hizashi Yamada, the well-known hero, Present Mic, making his debut at the UA sports festival just 5 years prior. She of course had watched this match and was impressed by his skill, yet pitied anyone who had to be in the same room with the guy. 

She felt especially bad for the man sitting before her upon discovering he was quirkless. To be the brother of someone who had made such a splash only to be seen as useless by everyone else seemed to take a toll on his self esteem, though he refused to admit it. She was more perceptive than most and could tell that he felt cheated, but couldn't help but look up to his brother. 

At the end of their first week working together, they still sat at that table next to the fateful cherry tree that sparked my parents' love story. My father plucked a blossom from the nearest branch and placed it behind her ear, saying quietly how the pink complemented her blue eyes. 

It all took off from there. My mother convinced him to move to the US with her so she could be closer to family. It only made sense to him. After all, in the villain-ridden city of Musutafu, it seemed obvious that a quirkless human would be at a disadvantage if they were to ever be cornered. 

And what was my mother's quirk? Well, she had the ability of teleportation. Although she was never really strong enough to use it on herself. She could only move small objects like a fork she forgot to grab from the drawer or a book from the bookshelf. When she was young, however, she had a nightmare one night and as she woke herself, her fear and helplessness were enough to teleport herself into her parents' bed. This drained her energy so bad, she immediately fell back to sleep. When she woke, she was only able to take a few bites of breakfast before falling asleep again right at the table. Alarmed, her parents brought her to the hospital, but they said she was okay as long as they kept feeding her between periods of rest. Waking up in the hospital was such a scare for her that she refused to teleport herself ever again.