Chapter 6: UA Entrance Exam

The next morning, I awake early, sick beyond belief. I run to my bathroom and heave up everything in my stomach. Damn nerves, I think as I shakily wipe my mouth with toilet paper. I stand and flush the toilet, too anxious to remain sitting. There's something comforting about the bathroom whenever I'm sick from anxiety. I don't know whether it's the cool tile on the floor against my bare feet or the smell of my soap. It just makes me feel marginally okay.

I pace back and forth while filling the room with music. I need something to take the edge off. I need to concentrate on something else. I put my focus into the music and after about an hour, I stop shaking and start getting ready for my day.

Showered, clothed, and beginning to tremble again, I make my way to the kitchen where Uncle Mic has prepared breakfast. My stomach turns over at the smell of food, so I refuse his offer and pour myself a glass of orange juice. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, trying to think about anything but the uneasiness in my stomach.

"HEY KID ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" Mic asks me, much too loudly for the morning, but I'm used to it by now. I nod. "YOU SURE? YOU'RE LOOKING A LITTLE GREEN!"

"Just nerves," I sign, then down the rest of my juice and head back to my room for a few minutes. Mic has to go in early, so I sign to him "see you later!"

"GOOD LUCK!!!!" I hear as I close the door behind me. I smile to myself, knowing at least he believes in me. After about 30 minutes of meditating, I head out and start my walk to UA High.

At 8:30, I get to the school and walk inside, making my way to the hall for orientation. I find my assigned seat and plop down, waiting on Ochaco who said she's running a little late.

She bustles in 10 minutes later. "Hey Koto!! I was just walking in when I saw this poor kid trip on his own feet. I stopped him from falling, but he looked scared to death! How are you holding up this morning?" She inquires as she sets her back down and sits down next to me.

"Extremely nervous," I sign. She gives me a warm smile and takes my hand in her small one, holding it between us as Present Mic takes the stage.

"WHAT'S UP, UA CANDIDATES?!? THANKS FOR TUNING INTO ME, YOUR SCHOOOOOOOOL DJ! C'MON AND LEMME HEAR YA!!!!" He puts his hand to his ear, waiting for a response, but none comes.

I smile to myself as he continues. That's pretty much how the rest of the orientation presentation goes. He explains to us our practical exam. Ochaco and I compare our battle centers. She's in Battle Center B while I'm in Battle Center A. Our shoulders sag as we realize that we won't be able to work together.

"Meet up after?" She signs to me.

"Right outside," I sign back, smiling proudly at her. "We both got this," I sign with more confidence than I have felt all day. Maybe this won't be too bad, I think as Mic shows us what we're up against.

Robots!! I can take those down! I will be able to damage them with my quirk. If I can figure out where their main circuits are, I can smash them to pieces without even getting close.

I sigh and start to feel better about my chances.

A blue haired boy stands up with a question, though it sounds more like an accusation. "On the printout, you've listed four types of villains, not three. With all respect, if this is an error on official UA materials, it is shameful. We are exemplary students. We expect the best from Japan's most notable school. A mistake such as this won't do." I was confused about the fourth robot, too, though he probably could have phrased it more respectfully. Then, he turned around and pointed at some kid in the back. "Additionally, you with the unkempt hair! You've been muttering this entire time. Stop that. If you can't bother to take this seriously, leave. You're distracting the rest of us."