Chapter 89: The First Rehearsals

Koto's POV

It takes quite a while to narrow down a song with Mina, but when we decide to start making a routine for each and decide which is best, it becomes clear that there's no competition. As such, we spend the next couple days painstakingly finalizing the choreography.

And that's how I end up unable to focus as I study with Bakugo before school. Spread out at the common room table at 6 am, we're surely the only two up for the next hour or so, but that doesn't prevent me from getting distracted. My feet stop tapping as the piece of bagel he threw at me gets stuck in my hair.

"Was that necessary?" I ask, trying to brush the crumbs from my now strawberry blonde hair. According to Macy, my hair will be fading back to normal these next couple weeks and it's already started the process.

"I leave for two seconds to get my laundry and you've already stopped working on the problems," he growls. "So yeah, it was."

I pout, hunching over my workbook. "And what makes you th-think I wasn't just thinking it through?"

The boy levels me with a look of disdain and points to number nine, where I had stopped. "Because you know how to do that one, Curly."

I look down and fight the heat creeping over my ears. That one is admittedly quite easy.

I struggle to think of a comeback, but nothing comes to mind. I settle for scowling at him and writing out the solution. He insisted that we do a review before we start going over the newer concepts, but that just gives me more time to drift off in my head.

When I finish the last question, I sigh in relief, sitting back in my chair.

"Finally," Bakugo mumbles, rolling his eyes. "Now, integration by parts..."

He flips his book open to the next chapter, but I groan. "I just did all those questions, can we take a break?"

"Hell no, not while it's fresh in your head. How do you expect to learn it?"

"Maybe I'll absorb it like a sp-sponge while I'm dozing in class," I retort with a hopeful smile. The boy's only response is to glare at me, the morning sun glinting dangerously in his red eyes. I push my book aside. "Can I at least make some toast?"

"Depends," he growls, not moving to stop me as I stand from my seat. "Are you actually gonna eat it?"

"I will," I snap. "I'm awake enough now that I'm n-not feeling sick."

"Congrats," he says blandly. I hear the sound of a chair scooting back as I lower a couple slices of bread into the toaster. When I turn, he's standing by the center island. "So, you got a song picked out yet?"

"Yeah, actually." I brace my arms behind me and hop up to sit on the counter, peering into the openings of the machine. "Figured it out last n-night."

"Do you have the sheet music yet?"

My heart drops into my stomach. "Sheet m-music?"

The boy just rolls his eyes. "You expect those dumbasses to learn the song without the music in front of them?"

"Hey! D-don't call them that."

"But you agree they need the music."

"...Yeah."

He smirks and I thank the universe that the toast chooses this time to pop up. I jump down from the counter and turn my back to prepare it. "I'm not really sure where to find the sheet music for it, so I'll have to write it out."

"And you know how to do that?"

"No," I admit, taking a bite from the bread as we walk back to our table. "But I know someone who does. Hopefully he'll agree to help me."