Chapter 92: Festival Day

Koto's POV

The sun streams in through my window. I rub at my eyes as my mind sifts through everything that's happened in the past week.

As my discussion with Bakugo comes to the forefront of my thoughts, I heave a great sigh.

I shouldn't have anything to worry about; he's playing in the festival, after all. We can all finally play in sync. The dancers are ready. The stage looks awesome. But we haven't talked much since the talk on Halloween night.

"Will you still play?"

"Do you want me to?"

"...yes."

"Fine."

Not many conversations ending with that would be considered good. But he's been coming to rehearsals, he's been relatively docile. I shouldn't be as anxious as I am.

Though I suppose my anxiety is also stemming from the performance as a whole. This has the potential to either go really well or really poorly. We have no way of knowing how receptive the other students will be.

All we can do is go out there and have fun, I tell myself. Over and over again. Momo has been drilling it into us that we can't predict the outcome, just do our best.

I push myself out of bed and run my hand through my hair, fully red once again. It seems right, to go out there and perform as I really am, nothing remaining from my trip to America. The one Monoma and Class 1-B still give me grief over.

Sing your heart out, I tell myself as I get ready for the day. I do vocal warm-ups in the shower and spend plenty of time in front of the mirror, making sure I look presentable.

Next, I don the outfit for the festival. Back in the planning stages, Kaminari had suggested orange t-shirts for the band. To my complete shock, nobody was about to contradict him. But having the lead singer wearing a shirt that clashed with her hair just seemed like a bad idea. So we finally agreed to navy blue instead.

I'm incredibly thankful for this choice as I pull it over my head. A large "A" insignia for our class stands out on the front.

I pace in my room, working through each of my consonants. Is it crazy to have me sing? Given the fact I've only been speaking for a couple months, maybe. I don't want to have to fall back on my quirk. I shouldn't have to.

I wipe my hands on my jeans. Nothing can be done now.

Lacing up my converse, I take three brave steps to the door. Nobody will hold me down, I tell myself, opening the door with my head held high.

•°•°•°•

"Where's Bakugo‽" Kaminari wails, holding the boy's shirt out in front of him. Our entire class sits waiting in the backstage area.

Momo reties her ponytail for the fourth time. "He'll be here," she assures. The girl turns to me. "Are you sure about the black and silver?"

"Of course!" Looking over the assembled students, we're much more coordinated than we would have been had we stuck with Kaminari's idea. The dance crew dons silver jackets with navy pants and skirts. The band was instructed to wear black with our blue shirts. I opted for skinny jeans, while Momo chose a skirt.

She smooths the pleats in the mirror, and Mina twirls over to her side, watching her skirt flare out.

"Ooh, I'm so excited!" Mina exclaims. "This'll be the best performance the cultural festival has ever seen!"

I catch Momo smiling in the mirror. It must be a weight off her shoulders to not be our only cheerleader.

"You guys will do great," Koda chimes in, wringing his hands. "We've practiced this so many times. The birds are ready, by the way."