Chapter 45: I-Expo

It's about 4 in the morning when the alert cuts through the silence, "I-Island security system is now operating in normal mode." 

The sound shakes me out of my panicked thoughts. I haven't gotten an ounce of sleep, just staring up at the stucco ceiling all night. I reach for my phone, texting Ochaco, Eijiro, and everyone else I know to be at the reception to see if they're okay. When nobody texts back, I turn my phone off and set it on my chest.

Despite me checking it every minute for the next hour, the screen never displays a message from anyone. The room begins to shake subtly which makes me shoot up in bed. I scramble off, my bare feet meeting the cold floor as I look outside. 

The hot orange cloud of an explosion billows out from the top of the central tower. I turn away instinctively, not wanting to see the damages. I sit on the floor for a while, watching green, white, and gold light flash on the opposite wall, the room shaking every now and then. 

Somehow, Kayda and Reina are still asleep, curled up on the giant bed, but they're shaken awake when a huge blast thunders across the island. In horror, I turn back to the window to see a bright white light and debris being thrown in every direction. 

As the light dies down, everything seems calm. Smoke clouds rise from the tower, but it's miraculously still standing. The sisters run to the window and we all watch for anything else to happen, but nothing does. 

About 5 minutes after the sun rises, my phone vibrates. I lunge over the bed to grab it, toppling to the floor on the other side. 

Ochaco 💕: Hey! We're okay, just got caught up in a villain attack. I'll meet you guys in a few hours. We have to talk with the security team and then I need a nap

What does she mean 'just'?!? That explosion looked like it killed people!

I receive similar texts from everybody, including Todoroki, but Bakugo and Eijiro are still radio silent. I give them ten minutes before racing out of the suite and down to their room. 

I pound on the door, hoping they had chosen not to go at the last minute and turned back, instead asleep in their beds, but after a while of nobody answering (and some yells from neighboring rooms), I can tell nobody's in there. I sit against the door, eyelids drooping, going through every possible scenario in my head as to why they're not answering my texts. 

At some point, I must've fallen asleep because, next thing I know, somebody's kicking my leg. 

"Ey, get up," a familiar voice growls. 

I shoot up faster than even I thought possible, wrapping my arms around both boys. "You're okay!" I illuse. They stumble back, alarmed, but one pair of arms wraps around me in return. 

"Fuck off," Bakugo snaps, forcing my hold off of him. I don't even care, putting both my arms around Eijiro instead as the blonde unlocks the door. 

"I thought you were dead! Why didn't you answer my texts?!?" I ask, pulling back and examining my friend. He appears to be scraped up, but not injured. 

We walk into the room as he explains, "I forgot my phone in here. But even if I'd have had it, it'd probably be broken by now."

I only now notice Bakugo's appearance. The entire left arm of his shirt is torn off. "Leave it to you to ruin a perfectly good dress shirt."

He loosens his tie and pulls it off, throwing it on the ground as he glares at me, unamused. His hands twitch as he undoes the buttons to his vest. I notice his entire arm is practically spasming. 

"You should've seen Todoroki," Eijiro exclaims, drawing my attention back to him. "The whole left side of his shirt was burned off!"

I look away to hide my flaming cheeks, remembering the last time he did that. The image appears in my mind, but I do my best to shake it away. There are more pressing matters.