Chapter 7: After Exam Recovery

I wake up in a bed I don't recognize. The sheets are paper thin and I can feel the cool air through them. I pull them tighter around me and I feel the mattress shift underneath me.

"OHMIGOSH YOU'RE AWAKE!!!" Ochaco's screech wakes me up fully. I open my eyes to be met with blinding LEDs. I squint my eyes at the light, temporarily blinded.

"Shh shh darling," an old voice says. "Don't want to wake any of the other students."

"I'm so sorry!!" She squeaks quietly. After blinking a few times, my eyes adjust to see my friend and a stout old lady standing over me. "Are you okay?" She whispers.

I nod. The pounding in my head has gone, but I'm still really tired. She has already changed back into her other clothes and I notice she has both our bags at her feet. "Thank you," I sign to her, picking up my bag and pulling out my clothes.

"No problem. The bathroom's over there," she motions to a door on the other side of the room, past a few more beds. "I have so much to tell you when you get back!"

"You're good to go," the lady says from next to one of the beds on the other wall. "You'll just be tired for a bit. My healing takes up a lot of your energy and you sustained quite a concussion. Try to be more careful when you're testing your quirk's boundaries, dear."

I just nod and rush to the bathroom as she leans over a freckled boy and plants a kiss on his forehead.

Okay, that was weird, I think as I shut the door behind me. But he looked sorta familiar. Was that the guy Ochaco said she saved from falling when they were walking in? He must've had quite the day. I sure hope he'll be alright.

When I finish changing, I head back out to see Ochaco standing with our bags, waiting. I grab mine and stuff my clothes in as we leave.

"Thank you Recovery Girl!" My friend sends over her shoulder as we exit.

"Okay, so spill," I sign as soon as the door closes.

"Okay!" She says, obviously anxious to talk about what happened. "So we got into the arena and I was running around, touching the robot villains and lifting them up, then dropping them to defeat them. I got through quite a few of them actually, but then one of those giant ones that aren't worth any points showed up and started crushing buildings! I was terrified! Some of the debris landed on me and I was right in front of the robot, so I couldn't move and it was coming right at me!!"

My eyes are wide as I sign "that's awful!!"

"Yeah! But then, you remember that kid with the messy hair that was in the nurse's office with you?" I nod and open the doors to the outside. We are greeted by the sunlight and we both squint, but she continues as we walk down the long road in front of us.

"He jumped up and took down the villain with just one punch!!!" She squealed.

Huh, I guess I underestimated his power, but if he could do that, he must have a pretty strong quirk.

"But then, he started falling from the sky and it didn't look like he could stop himself, so I lifted the rock off me, climbed onto a robot part, and made it fly over to where he was going to land!! I slapped him in the face and made him stop falling!!!!"

My mouth hangs open in shock, but then I start laughing.

"What?" She says indignantly.

"You slapped him in the face?"

"Well... Yeah, it was all I could reach!!!" I cover my mouth with my hand and signal for her to continue with her story. "Anyways, then of course I threw up because I had used up so much power. I saw that both his legs were bent at weird angles and his arm was all purple and broken looking. Then, I heard him talking about trying to get just one point and that confused me! He was so powerful, yet he hadn't gotten even a single point! I guess his quirk hurts him whenever he uses it. So he used his one good arm to start dragging himself across the ground, but then time ran out, so he didn't get any points that entire time! I felt so bad!!"