Chapter 40: The Written Finals

The rest of the weekend, I pretty much lock myself away to study. I'm really struggling with math, now that we're getting into more complicated calculus. I mean, I thought I was good at math before, but Ectoplasm teaches a little too fast for me. 

I'm sitting on my bed, reading through my math textbook for what has to be the thousandth time when I notice my phone buzzing off the wire. I decide it's time for a study break, so I grab it. 

Ochaco is looking for study buddies in the Dekusquad group chat. Apparently, Iida and Todoroki always study by themselves and Tsu is studying with Tokoyami and Shoji. This leaves Midoriya to be the only one to agree to study with her. 

Do I agree to study with her, knowing that we'll most likely get distracted and get nothing done? Or do I let her hang out alone with her crush for a few hours every day for the next week? Hmmm…tough decision. 

Not.

I text them back saying that I get too easily distracted when I try to study with other people. It isn't technically a lie, but it's also not the only reason I'm declining. 

I grab some snacks from my bedside table and watch an episode of the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. This is the most effective method I've found for studying. When I can't cram any more knowledge into my brain, I watch one episode and then get back to work. Then, right before bed, I do an extensive review, so that the facts are better retained in long term storage. 

Knowing a professional psychologist has its perks.

I'm about halfway through the episode, I get another text, this time from Eijiro. 

Kiri: Hey are you getting this math stuff?

Me: Lol nope

Me: I mean the earlier stuff I'm fine with, but the more recent stuff is killing me

Kiri: Well I was wondering if you wanted to come study with me and Bakugo this week. We've been doing a lot of math. It's still not clicking with me either

I have to think for a moment. If I was only studying with Eijiro, I'd probably get nothing done, but Bakugo seems like he would be a drill sergeant when it comes to studying. At least we could stay on topic the whole time. Enh, why not? Maybe he could help.

Me: Sure when are you guys getting together?

Kiri: Well we're studying every day after school next week, but we're also meeting in an hour if you wanna join

Me: Yeah, any little bit helps

I receive a location and pull it up in my maps app. It's not too far away. I guess they want to use the same place after school, so they picked somewhere in Musutafu. 

Me: See you in an hour!

Kiri: Kk I'll tell Bakugo

I go back to studying with a new vigor. Something in my brain doesn't want them to see me look stupid, even though they both now know I need help. I just don't want to get so frustrated that I cry in front of them. Because that happens sometimes. 

Eventually, I can't wait anymore, so I pack all my books into my backpack, shove my feet into my new Crocs, and head out. I walk around the city for a while, taking in the neon lights as they come on. I try to calm my nerves at the thought of studying with people, but by the time I walk into the little cafe, my hands are still shaking. 

Maybe this was a bad idea. 

Pop music quietly plays from the speakers on the wall. I quickly locate Eijiro and Bakugo sitting at a booth with their books spread out. My stomach twists in anxiety.