Chapter 47: Chilling with the Squad

The class performance is going well. We stationed ourselves by the huge light show to dance to Good Time. A few of our classmates stand on the sidelines, not wanting to participate, Bakugo of course being one of them. 

He's staring down at his phone and realizes all too late that his squad is running for him. Eijiro hardens his arms to hold the boy down as they drag him into the group. I increase the volume of the illused song to drown out the profanities he's yelling. I can't even hear what they're saying until they get closer.

"Sacrifice! Sacrifice!" Sero and Kaminari chant, pulling him into the center of the circle.

"Fuck all of you!" Bakugo shouts, trying to squirm his way out of their hold. 

"Come on, guys. Just let him be. He doesn't have to participate if he doesn't want to," I sign to them. The boys whine, but put him down anyway. He brushes himself off and scowls at each person individually, including me. As if this is somehow my fault!

As he turns around to stomp off, Mina calls after him, "oh right! You can't dance, can you, Mr. Three-Stars?"

Immediately he turns on his heel and walks towards us again, his face flushed red in anger. He snatches my hands and pulls me into the spinning move we did earlier tonight. His hold is strong and steady as he catches me, much better than the other two attempts. As he pulls me up from the dip, I see his ruby eyes alight with a determined fire. In them, I can see his resolve to prove he's the best, daring anyone and everyone to contradict him. He blinks slowly, dangerously, turning his sharpened gaze on our friends. 

"What did you say?" He growls, the vein in his forehead bulging. After another harsh glare, he turns and walks away, shoving his hands in his pockets. Over the music, I can hear him grumbling, "fuckin' raccoon…"

I smile at my friends who are all laughing at his inability to leave things be. Together with the rest of our class, we dance and have fun, savoring the night air and the electrifying excitement from the crowd. 

When the song ends, we reconvene with those on the sidelines. Melissa is hopping up and down between Shoji and Tokoyami, clutching her phone tightly. "I got such a good video, guys! I'll be sure to send it to you!" She chirps. 

After a few more minutes of chatting and making plans for tomorrow, we all split up to go to our own hotels. I head out with Eijiro and Bakugo, the former still expressing his excitement from the show while the latter walks silently beside him. 

I nod along with what the redhead is saying, but start to zone out. At first, I feel a small breeze which has me thinking I should've brought a jacket. A shiver goes down my spine at the unwarranted thought of how warm Bakugo was when he caught me. I feel a blotchy blush creep over my face as I chastise myself. 

Don't just go thinking stuff like that! Of course he was warm! Guys are usually warmer than girls, aren't they? It's scientifically proven that a woman's core should be--

I'm brought out of my thoughts when something pokes my red cheek. I look over hastily to see Eijiro examining me as my face flushes deeper. What am I even doing? Get out of my head!

"You alright?" He asks, prompting Bakugo to look up and glance at us from under his fringe. I nod and hug my arms around myself, blinking to bring my focus to the road in front of me. But it's no use. 

The harder I try to focus on my surroundings, the more a certain blonde's toothy smile fills my mind, the more I can hear the awkward cackle of his laugh, the more I can feel his warmth.

I once again shiver, holding my arms tight around me, but a jacket is already being draped over my shoulders. "Can't have you getting sick, can we?" Eijiro asks with his cheerful smile in place.